Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2011, 02:33 PM

Default I need a new tow car

Guys,

with mine nearly finished, and with it being made solely for track use, I have to get a car to tow it on it's transporter that will be capable of doing it long distance. The plan is to use it on track days all over the country through the summer.

My original plan was to trade in the wifes car (citroen Xsara) for a large diesel pickup, mitsubishi L200, nissan navara or the like, and for her to have mine (Citroen C5 diesel). Unfortunately her car now needs a big job done and i'd rather trade it in now rather than spend the money. Problem is I haven't yet saved enough dough to buy a pickup.

So I could either buy her something small again and keep my C5, and risk ruining it by towing long distance. Or spend money I haven't got and get a better towing vehicle.

Any suggestions or bright ideas most welcome!

Sam.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 10th February 2011, 03:02 PM

The only thing i would say is that on past experience that size diesel pickup will drink fuel and u will probably be crippled if u drive a long distance as i've never found them that comfortable. Would also most likely be pretty steep on road tax etc. Don't quote me on it but that's what i have found with new shape L200 and hilux trucks. I'd be more inclined to go for something like the tdci mondeo estates (can be picked up surprisingly cheaply) or something like that. More than enough grunt to tow your roadster and a damn sight better on fuel, comfort and road tax too

Russ

Last edited by rpjg1975 : 10th February 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10th February 2011, 03:13 PM

Hi Sam
you don't say which model C5 you have, but according to whattowcar.com states that a standard C5 2.0 HDi towing a 1000 kg trailer would be a perfect match, read the report

Important for safe towing is the weight ratio between Car and Caravan. The weight ratio (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) for the Citroen and is 67%. The match between car and caravan is perfect.

The towing performances of this Citroen with your trailer are perfect (performance index = 103).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable in all cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

I reckon just keep the citroen and use it, tow bars are cheap enough and easy to fit, the car will easily handle towing a trailer. We used to tow a 1200 kg caravan the full length of the country with a pug 306 estate 2.0 HDi, and the only problem we ever had was on the motorway we used to get a bit of a sway on. With the extra weight of the citroen, along with the lower centre of gravity of the trailer this wouldn't be a problem for you.
Even with a 1.6 HDi it comes back as a perfect match, so I say keep it.
Hope this helps
Alan

http://alansroadster.blogspot.com/

Last edited by CaptainCrash1971 : 10th February 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10th February 2011, 03:21 PM

I should be selling my 98 audi a4 tdi estate next month.
It still pulls really well and I'll be letting it go really cheap, it done lots of miles but the engine is sweet.
Has a tow bar onlyused twice
Might get you through a few months until you saved up for something better.

M
Old 10th February 2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I should be selling my 98 audi a4 tdi estate next month.
It still pulls really well and I'll be letting it go really cheap, it done lots of miles but the engine is sweet.
Has a tow bar onlyused twice
Might get you through a few months until you saved up for something better.

M
Wow guys some really great responses there - thanks!

Captain, it is a 2.0Hdi 110bhp model. Already has a nice witter removable towbar fitted. I never thought it would be so well suited for towing, a real eye opener.

Mike, I am considering an Audi diesel as my sister uses one to tow a horse box regularly. I'm going to have a good look round for something, but thanks for your offer.

rpjg, I really like the look of those big pickups. I'd always assumed that they would be pretty good on fuel, being designed primarilly as commercial vehicles. Glad to be wrong about that and find out now rather than later.

Great advice guys, so i think the verdict at this point is a pickup not the best answer, but the C5 will do fine if I don't get something else.

Brilliant, thanks again!

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 10th February 2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

my 1600kg signum cdti tow's the roadster so well that you dont know its behind. the c5 is about the same size so i suspect it will also tow well.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 10th February 2011, 09:52 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^

ash come on thats not a fair comparison lol, if you could hold the signum still and drive, it would change the earths rotational axis lol

tilly
Old 10th February 2011, 09:53 PM

The C5 is probably one of the best towcars you could have, even if it is made by Shitroen . It should have no problem pulling your roadster on a trailer. People get very hung up on BHP figures but to give you some perspective my camper is a 7 metre 4.2 tonne GVW Iveco with a 2.8 litre turbo diesel giving 100BHP and it will tow my 4.5 metre 1500KG trailer at 60MPH all day long (well except for uphill of course) and still gives 23MPG while doing it.

D.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosam View Post
Wow guys some really great responses there - thanks!

Captain, it is a 2.0Hdi 110bhp model. Already has a nice witter removable towbar fitted. I never thought it would be so well suited for towing, a real eye opener.

Mike, I am considering an Audi diesel as my sister uses one to tow a horse box regularly. I'm going to have a good look round for something, but thanks for your offer.

rpjg, I really like the look of those big pickups. I'd always assumed that they would be pretty good on fuel, being designed primarilly as commercial vehicles. Glad to be wrong about that and find out now rather than later.

Great advice guys, so i think the verdict at this point is a pickup not the best answer, but the C5 will do fine if I don't get something else.

Brilliant, thanks again!
I've always liked them too but having driven a few different makes and models i've never found them that comfy, probably because they are aimed at more commercial areas. They do what they are designed to do pretty well but there seem to be quite a few drawbacks. If u aren't towing u will probably find the back end skips and can lock wheels when braking hard (the boss carries some heavy fence weights in the rear tub to counteract this!) His is an auto and he just about manages 25mpg. Possibly a bit better on a run but it's never gonna be frugal
The road tax is definitely crippling and any tolls will rip u off too as it will be classed as commercial (as another of my boss's found travelling over the severn bridge everyday in his big fancy mitzi warrior which was his only family car!)

Plenty of opinions and options for u anyway

Russ
Old 11th February 2011, 01:26 PM

Well this thread has certainly given me a lot of food for thought.

We are going to go car shopping tomorrow morning, have a browse around and see what we can get with what can afford.

It's either going to be another medium sized car for her, and I keep the C5, or something for me, and the wife has the C5, either way, we're keeping it and her Xsara estate (the reason this all came about) is getting traded in.

well, it is my turn for a new car