Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2014, 07:39 PM

Well last night I felt like driving it into a wall. I went this morning expecting a fail but it seemed to run perfectly all day. Stupid car.

On choke its fine, fully warmed up (fan kicking in) it's fine.
I'm guessing it's the autochoke that is the problem so further investigation required.
Old 6th June 2014, 08:25 PM

Well done, you must be over the moon, the car looks ace!
Old 6th June 2014, 08:38 PM

Congratulations! The car looks great.
Old 6th June 2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
Well last night I felt like driving it into a wall. I went this morning expecting a fail but it seemed to run perfectly all day. Stupid car.

On choke its fine, fully warmed up (fan kicking in) it's fine.
I'm guessing it's the autochoke that is the problem so further investigation required.
Now the iva done just take it off!! Who needs a choke this weather! Lol

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 6th June 2014, 09:04 PM

Iva test summary:
I arrived at the test centre at about 7.45, took the car off the trailer and ran it around the industrial estate and it was still running really badly.
When the guys opened the door and I met my examiner, Mark. He got me to put the car straight up on the ramp and had a look at the chassis plates and had a good poke around under the car.
mark was very complementary about my welding and thought it was a mass produced car and said that it was very well finished.
After going forwards and backwards to the car outside to get some tools I had to take the harness bolt out to show how far it went into the roll bar. Next was headlight alignment. The drivers side needed a little tweak, he wasn't happy with the near side as I had rotated the lens 10 deg. So I had to take the light apart so it gave a flat pattern.

All was going well until the mirror test. It passed visibility and the 40x70mm but it must have a 70mm vertical space somewhere on the mirror. My racetech ones are only 50mm high so he failed them.
Onto the brake rollers and the rears were locking up first, as the fronts warmed up they started to lock first. We went outside and I had to drive at 15mph and slam the brakes on. Both of the front
Wheels locked before the rears.
The sound test came back at 92dB on an r1 can. So that was well under.
Onto the speedo test and I had to go outside due to H&S crap and it was ok but reading 60mph at 70. He let me tweak it a couple of times and it now reads 68 at 70mph.
One of my front arches was slightly behind the 30deg forward angle but I managed to just about bend it forwards although there was hardly any movement.
Lastly was exterior and interior projections. There were no problems here, I didn't have to add any trim or do anything.
So the car had failed on mirrors only but Mark let me go to a local bikeshop and buy a set (£30), fit them and then what felt like 30mins later presented me with the certificate.
I then had the fun of driving home 25miles. The car didn't miss a beat and the smile still hasn't warn off.
The examiner was very fair although I was a bit annoyed about the mirrors but it is in the manual and somehow I missed it. He ran me through every aspect of the test and was really helpful and a lovely guy.
Now to battle with the DVLA.

Last edited by SeriesLandy : 6th June 2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 6th June 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Iva test summary:
I arrived at the test centre at about 7.45, took the car off the trailer and ran it around the industrial estate and it was still running really badly.
When the guys opened the door and I met my examiner, Mark. He got me to put the car straight up on the ramp and had a look at the chassis plates and had a good poke around under the car.
mark was very complementary about my welding and thought it was a mass produced car and said that it was very well finished.
After going forwards and backwards to the car outside to get some tools I had to take the harness bolt out to show how far it went into the roll bar. Next was headlight alignment. The drivers side needed a little tweak, he wasn't happy with the near side as I had rotated the lens 10 deg. So I had to take the light apart so it gave a flat pattern.

All was going well until the mirror test. It passed visibility and the 40x70mm but it must have a 70mm vertical space somewhere on the mirror. My racetech ones are only 50mm high so he failed them.
Onto the brake rollers and the rears were locking up first, as the fronts warmed up they started to lock first. We went outside and I had to drive at 15mph and slam the brakes on. Both of the front
Wheels locked before the rears.
The sound test came back at 92dB on an r1 can. So that was well under.
Onto the speedo test and I had to go outside due to H&S crap and it was ok but reading 60mph at 70. He let me tweak it a couple of times and it now reads 68 at 70mph.
One of my front arches was slightly behind the 30deg forward angle but I managed to just about bend it forwards although there was hardly any movement.
Lastly was exterior and interior projections. There were no problems here, I didn't have to add any trim or do anything.
So the car had failed on mirrors only but Mark let me go to a local bikeshop and buy a set (£30), fit them and then what felt like 30mins later presented me with the certificate.
I then had the fun of driving home 25miles. The car didn't miss a beat and the smile still hasn't warn off.
The examiner was very fair although I was a bit annoyed about the mirrors but it is in the manual and somehow I missed it. He ran me through every aspect of the test and was really helpful and a lovely guy.
Now to battle with the DVLA.
Good write up, sounds like a great day out. Well done that Man!

Could you of into a bit more detail on the interior test. Was it a 100mm ball test only and did he start to try and find places for it to go in the drivers under dash footwell? Thanks.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:01 PM

It was a good day, especially as I went expecting to fail on emissions. Towards the end he took a lot of brake tests (snore) and he took a long time filling out the paper work but if he had only done the 5 brake tests it would have failed due to the rears locking first.

He never even used the ball apart from around the front suspension and everything was covered. He put the 2.5mm gauge on the headlights and tested the dash (19mm).

He had a good look under the dash on both sides but I had boxed them in and said that it was fine.

He also said there was a horizontal line 150mm up from the seat base with a different size sphere above and below but I can't remember which

Last edited by SeriesLandy : 6th June 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 7th June 2014, 09:11 AM

well done now get out and enjoy all the hard work you put in
Old 7th June 2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
It was a good day, especially as I went expecting to fail on emissions. Towards the end he took a lot of brake tests (snore) and he took a long time filling out the paper work but if he had only done the 5 brake tests it would have failed due to the rears locking first.

He never even used the ball apart from around the front suspension and everything was covered. He put the 2.5mm gauge on the headlights and tested the dash (19mm).

He had a good look under the dash on both sides but I had boxed them in and said that it was fine.

He also said there was a horizontal line 150mm up from the seat base with a different size sphere above and below but I can't remember which
Oh right, good to know, I better get boxing!
Old 7th June 2014, 09:33 AM

well done that man