Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th July 2010, 08:36 PM

Default Noob saying hello

Hi

Registered about three weeks ago but couldn't post or anything. Tried administrators etc. all to no avail.

Emailed a forum member through his own email and next day it's sorted. He definitely is a handy man is HandyAndy. Cheers mate.

About me. 52 and always wanted to build my own car. I had always imagined it would be an off roader but bought THE book about 6 weeks ago. I'm hooked. Mind you I am fickle when it comes to the next hobby.

Soon as I sell the drums I took up about a year ago and finish off the classic trailie I,m doing up for a mate, I'll have enough space in the garage. Got a stack of slightly rusty 25x25 box section from the scrappy last week which I'm going to use for a build table. Ordered a regulator and mask for the mig. It's only 90Amp but it'll do for tacking until I can get it to a mates garage to do properly. Hoping to have enough space to keep my bike but if it has to go then it'll have to go.

Like a lot it's going to have to be on a budget so could be a couple of years. Also hoping to do as much of it as possible myself to save cash.

You're all going to get sick of me asking questions so I'll start with the first one. I reckon on about 30M of 25x25 and 12M 0f 19x19. Would that be about right?

AND where the hell are all the old Sierras?

Gary
Old 6th July 2010, 08:41 PM

Welcome Gary, you are in the right place
I think it's a bit more than 30 metres of the 25 square, about 33 from memory. I bought one of Handyandy's superb flat pack kits so didn't have to work it out in the end.
I think there are quite a few other builders that are also in to bikes so you are in good company.
This is a great resource, my project would be miles further back if not for the help on here, there are some very clever people pop in.
All the best,
Enoch
Old 6th July 2010, 08:50 PM

Welcome to the forum Gary

All i did was was send an email to the forum admin team explaining the problem & within hours of my email the problem was sorted, so all credit to Haynes admin

We all know about budgets, me .... well...... read past postings & you,ll see my reputation for the bargains
Tho my own Roadster will be on the road for £3k, including IVA so it has been worth searching for bargains.

Your first question............ If you intend to fit a GRP rear tub its 36.7mtrs of 25mm box tube & 14.3mtrs of 19mm box tube ( most use 20mm which is fine),

If you intend to fit an ali rear tub then its 34.8mtrs of 25mm & 14.7mtrs of 19mm plus some round tube for the ali tub framework.

Best wishes for your build

have a good look thru the past posts & if you can,t find an answer to a query then just ask away, this forum is a wealth of knowledge in every aspect of building the Roadster.

cheers
andy
Old 6th July 2010, 08:51 PM

Cheers Enoch.

I've had Handys flatpack in my Ebay watched list for weeks but at the end of the day it's all about cash. I won't save a lot by doing it myself and I've no doubt I'm going to create a shedload of work but I think that's the way it's going to have to be.

I've been reading the forum for about a month and am amazed at the ammount I've learned. It really is a font of knowledge here.

Gary
Old 6th July 2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks again Andy.

Yeh I'm a bit of a tightwad . Missed a sierra two weeks ago cos I was hoping to haggle him down. Wanted £300 and it had about £100 tax on it. Kicking myself now. Going for Ali tub I think.

What are people paying for Steel? Been quoted £16+vat per 6M x25x25x2mm ERW at FM steel in Newburn. Thinking about picking up some tomorrow morning.

Gary
Old 6th July 2010, 09:21 PM

Welcome to the mad house

CSF £857.19

Twins Roadster
Old 6th July 2010, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Check Thomas Grahams out for Steel Prices in carlisle, but....

If you factor in the cost of a decent SAFE cutting system and media for it then the cost of Handys kits is actualy a Budget WISE consideration. Also, given your location the cost of collection aint going to be massive ( or get Spud to put it in the car on his way to Hartside

As for where have all the sierras gone... Well the bloomin kit/self car builders have taken the all.... I have two on my drive but they are keepers...

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 16th July 2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-FORD-SIER... tem335ef566f1

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle