Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2014, 09:46 AM

Does anyone manufacture an extra long nosecone

Arfon
Old 12th March 2014, 11:24 PM

Hi Kev,
It might be time to think about a Laminova for cooling the oil, they are very efficient and space saving. And/or a air-to-water charge cooler for your turbo. These parts are a bit costy, but very welcome when it is as crowded as in your nose cone
Laminova coolers are imported to the UK by Think Automotive. We import them in France from them. Laminova website : http://www.laminova.se/
PWR makes very good water-to-air charge coolers, and other kinds
http://www.pwr.com.au/products/intercoolers The factory is in Australia, but they have a company in the UK.
I am aware it is a question of cost, but if you can afford one of them, it might be a route to explore.
Old 13th March 2014, 02:33 AM

You should know me by now Syl.....charge cooler from a mr2 turbo just been fitted, this has its own electric pump which I will be controlling via an adjustable temperature module which will also display charge temps. as for oil cooler I just need to get some pipes made up....I have manage to squeeze it all in with only 5mm spare in some places.
It feels quite odd carrying on with the build even though IVA has passed and gone.

Mr2 2 litre turbo water to air charge cooler ....played with a bit carbon wrap

Have managed to keep the inlet pipe run as short as possible which will help a lot with turbo lag .......bailey dump valve to keep turbo rpm up during gear changes

12v water pump in the charge cooler loop

getting very busy in the front
Old 13th March 2014, 08:07 AM

Sorry about that Kev. I hadn't noticed you already have a water-to-air charge cooler, and I thought this water radiator for your charge cooler was the new oil cooler as it looks like these very thin plate-and-fins oil cooler. I was completely wrong
BTW, I like your installation of the charge cooler
Old 13th March 2014, 09:40 AM

No room for the driver shortly (No Kev not you)

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:40 PM

A couple of days ago I hit on a real bargain, off of you know where
I had worked out it was going to cost me about £50 for pipes to rig up the oil cooler (uh nee way) so I start searching on my fave auction site and find a BIN oil cooler package, but thinking it was too good to be true (£70 delivered) I asked them a question and they confirmed it was everything in the photo, why I here you ask....well....here is why.... not only were the pipes stainless but it also included a oil filter re-location as part of the kit, needless to say for the sake of £20 it was a steal and last one too and 2 days delivery
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:02 PM

Started to install my oil cooler stuff, from what was a cavernous engine bay is now looking like a modern car (no space to put any aftermarket goodies) anyway before I got started I decided to anodize the two major alloy bits, then I got to installing the oil filter re-locator and fix the new slightly smaller (2 rows)
oil cooler below my rad then started to route the pipes, hope to finish install tomorrow

Old 27th March 2014, 12:51 PM

Talking

Small disaster.....when fitting up my oil cooler pies I managed to x thread one of them which showed itself as a leak, I would not care but it did not at all feel tight when I was screwing it on, anyways off it came and sure enough x threaded only thing I could try was a re-tap as some of the threads at the bottom were still good but I have no an10/jic10 tap so remembering that I had an ancient scrap ride on in the garden that had hydraulic fittings I checked to see if there was any an10 nuts and there was one... so took this off put it in a vice and using a junior hacksaw cut around 7 slots across the threads, these would provide a cutting action if I can get it square on the damaged fitting.
using it very carefully I managed to get it square on the old threads then proceeded to put it on ...turn a bit take it off, clean it and repeating this action every third of a turn I managed to recover some of the threads that were not damaged. I think there was a modocum of good luck.
Right so oil cooler back in and taped up (lots on the rethreaded one) I was able to apply the same torque on both nuts with no sensation of "stripping"
That was last night and I have not tested it yet, I was really peeved at that mind BUT joy of joys, my age related number and tax disc turned up this morning K7**BON yep ...tres tres bon indeed. well it would be if it wasn't bluddy raining....will let you lot know how it goes soon
Old 28th April 2014, 05:40 PM

Hi guys....it has taken me ages to get the bluddy engine sorted and finally after changing and checking injectors, cop's, igniters, ecu's I finally discovered what was wrong ....it was disgustingly simple which annoyed the f**k out of me, I was running to low a fuel pressure 28psi when I needed at least 36psi so I whacked it up to 36 and went out a few hours ago and scared myself half to death the acceleration is effin mind blowing, it has taken me long enough to vindicate my choice of power plant and I have yet to take it up to stage 2 but not yet as I don't think I could cope with another 50 horses on top of what I have without seriously soiling my pants.
So now I can say anyone up this neck of the woods wants to see and feel what
a fast roadster is like just drop me a pm, only proviso is it has to be dry with no chance of rain will get a vid sorted out soon when I find my camera mount.
Old 28th April 2014, 08:06 PM

Ooo ooo me me please