Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th December 2015, 03:47 PM

well finally made some head way with the brakes... I NOW HAVE BRAKES
after a lot of frustration with the braking system I took Silvains' advice (some one elses thread ) and mounted a remote reservoir on the bulkhead with a couple of pipes to some steel reducers at the mx5 m/c with the brake pedal back in place a few pumps had fluid through each corner, bled them all, checked pipework for leaks = none and a solid pedal too . Just need to redo the fluid level wiring and its done
measured the prop so its off on Monday to be shortened .
Hopefully I can get a bit done tomorrow as well
Gary
Old 13th December 2015, 04:40 PM

so today its b###### y freezing up here, even the sand on the beach has frost on it all day !!! oh well on with the wooly hat
so having the brakes sorted out it was the clutch next I wasn't happy as it was stiff and the original geometry meant the pedal instead of pushing the m/c all the way , it was going "over the top" thus losing some travel and feel. So took it out and redrilled a hole immediately under the original to improve feel, extended the rod bringing the pedal closer to me thus improving the geometry of the pedal and pushrod now it feels a lot better and pushes all the way
next it was the new throttle cable and throttle pedal stop straight forward with no problems . so with the light starting to go and a need for some internal heating ( coffee ) it was time to tidy up and head inside
Old 20th December 2015, 03:50 PM

so I nipped up to the local engineers and turns out his son is building a seven as well so hope fully will catch up with him over the hols. and see what he's up to

today sorted out rear camber / toe settings went for -1 on camber we'll see how that goes and 0 toe in, had to do the nearside twice as first time round did +1 deg duhh , put on new hub nuts and spacers to fill out the arches. looks a lot better finished off the heater screen ducting not a great amount of air but enough to show demisting
Hopefully I'll get my prop back Tuesday then I can get that in and the g/box , turret oils in and checked.
The handbrake is doing my head in at the moment but I'll get there.
ordered some rack stops and gland covers for the steering arms and top drag links, prop catchers (just in case ) and a wideband o2 kit
still need a connector plug for a focus brake reservoir with some wire on ,if anyone has one.....
so after a brain dead exercise I have 2 pairs of LARGE rear hub nuts (mx5) if anyone needs them , (yes I did it twice for some reason unknown to mankind ) think these are the mk1 size nuts.
so a list of jobs to do at work... ahem.... bend handbrake brackets, shorten front hand brake actuater and cut out boot lid, I made the template and marked the ali out today, that should keep me busy for a few days over the hols.
also started to sort out invoices and paperwork as hoping to be ready to apply for my iva before long
Old 23rd December 2015, 03:55 PM

well got a few hours outside today, cold yes but took coffee and a wooly hat
I got my propshaft back and after a scare about it being very tight going into the gearbox, I gave the tail a real good clean (as in scale and polish) oiled and in it went started getting the handbrake back together. I must say I'm really not happy with the big curves over the diff , to me it looks untidy , still there in .
My list of jobs IS getting smaller I will have to do Christmas and then I'll get back to it, next job is to do the rear tub cover so I will give that some thought while eating turkey, then fit the wideband , and set the frontend up with rack stops and gland covers.

merry Christmas everyone
Old 29th December 2015, 04:21 PM

well its cold but nae wooly hat cold so.... out I went fastened down the rear handbrake cables so they don't touch anything .
Then made the boot lid a bit of a faff about but I'm happy with it and it looks a lot better than a gaping hole, at some point I will make an inner box for a few odds and ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (76.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (82.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (95.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 29th December 2015, 04:25 PM

and a few more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (95.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (70.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 30th December 2015, 03:40 PM

gale force winds and rain so didn't go out till lunchtime stripped front n/s and rebuilt with lock stop in the steering rack ( will remove after iva as it really has restricted the lock but nothing is stressed or touching) and gland covers over the track rod nuts and drag link nuts. Doesn't sound much but took a couple of hours, so other side tomorrow
Old 31st December 2015, 02:32 PM

well it was dry and not windy but very cold, snow forcast for the hills tonight any way got the other front side done lock stop in gaiters and gland covers on and all put back together, put the battery back in and it aint starting not even turning over so I will have to trace that next,
one step forward and one back.... lol.....
anyway happy new year to everyone and hope you all have a good one
Old 2nd January 2016, 02:51 PM

well spent ages with checking all the fuses, fuel pump priming, everything else working lights, blower indicators etc, could here the relay clicking but no turnover .... so check battery volts = good, check + at starter = good, grabbed a passing young lad and asked him to hit the key while I checked the solenoid + = good ...., so after sqeezing a torch and mirror underneath the heavy wire from the solenoid to the starter is corroded so pulled it out and just bought a 2nd hand one so hopefully once its here we will be sorted.
after that malarkey I trimmed the wishbone/ rack openings in the side panels, that's it for today
Old 2nd January 2016, 06:20 PM

I'm thinking of either putting a turbo or a charger on mine after IVA but not sure yet but where has your charger came from?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/