Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2015, 09:04 PM

Default Summer Improvements

Hi All,

Its been a long time since I have been here, but now thinking about preparing my Roadster for the Summer Months.

After passing my IVA in July 2013 and getting the car registered, I have barely covered 100 miles in the Roadster in short trips. This was due to having the Roadster stored elsewhere due to lack or garage!.

However, good news, my new house to accommodate my growing family came equipped with extra long garage and small workshop area!

I have the following issues that I will need advice on.

1) How to reduce the under bonnet temperatures to prevent overheating? considering Evans Waterless Coolant.

2) My XR4x4 LSD diff seems to seize up making it very hard to push. (Can this happen to diffs?) or could it be rear calliper issue? The IVA inspector seem to think it was acting odd on the brake rollers.

3) Recommend a good Rev Limiter

4) Recommend good Calipers to use to replace the XR4x4 2.8i front and rears - hopefully with same MC as it was was new for IVA

5) Any other cool stuff to do at not to much cost.

Generally all exactly as my build photos but with extra dust.

Last edited by Spikehaus : 17th February 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 18th February 2015, 10:58 AM

I would try the following for your questions,

1, Try blanking off the areas around the radiator to nosecone, air will always take the least path of resistance.

2, Has the diff got the correct type of oil in it? Would a service/oil chnage help?

3, Can't comment on aftermarket, did the ford have a built in limiter?

4, Cheapest option is to service what you have, mind Wilwoods always get good reviews. I've wilwood on the front of my v6 but standard 4x4 on the rear with mintex pads, can't comment on performance as not running yet.

ATB Dan.
Old 24th February 2015, 05:03 PM

Hi Spike.

I had cooling issues with my V6, in the end I went for having a massive radiator adapted to fit the hole. I have now fitted the Cosworth V6 and the temperature is still not a problem.

I have the standard XR4x4 callipers on mine with green stuff pads in the front and the brakes have been excellent even at track days. I wont be going to the expense of Wilwoods.
Old 24th February 2015, 05:53 PM

Could be brakes binding once everything heats up. I had a problem cos the actuator rod from brake pedal to m/c expanded and moved the piston slightly- I just shaved a couple of mm off the rod to solve the problem. Luke on here had the same issue.