Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2014, 05:50 PM

Well its been 9 months since I last posted a picture of my build update but one is finally here!

I've nearly completed one of my sidepanels, I just need to trim the bottom edge, and put a few more clearance cuts in for a wishbone + steering rack. I hasnt been too difficult, but I think if I did it again I would go for fibreglass panels just for ease and speed. I think I will mount the rear arch once this panel is in place as it will give me a break from panel beating for an hour or two. I also need to fabricate the rear section of the panel for the curved part of the chassis, that will be done after this is finished.

I'm hoping to have the other sidepanel finished by the end of next bank holiday weekend (with a couple of days mountain biking in Wales planned).

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 15th June 2014, 07:36 AM

Well I've now managed to finish the nearside side panel and mount the rear arch, I just need to cut a hole for the exhaust to go through and rivet it in place.

I've also managed to finish off a lot of little jobs on the chassis I've been trying to get round to for ages but needed the engine out to do. So I've now put in a rivnut to secure the brake pressure sensor, riveted in a few more cable tie holders and made a new bracket/welded it in for the rear brake tee as previously it was secured by the way it is in the book, but with my braided lines I've made a new bracket to bolt the tee directly to it as I didn't think it would get through IVA with the old setup.

I'll try and get a picture of the new bracket later on today.

Todays jobs are to trim a bit of aluminium on the rear tub so it runs flush against the chassis members, drill holes + cleco the side panels in place and to repaint the chassis in areas it needs it as it's looking a bit worn after 4.5 years of being bashed about! Then mid weeks jobs will be to put my wheel set back on and mount my rear lights to the arches and finish off the wiring for them.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 15th June 2014, 05:17 PM

Well my build has been set back slightly, I was doing some odd jobs on the car and was going to put a hose clip on my fuel hose to discover that it has completely perished!

The hose is only about a year or 2 old and hasnt had any fuel through it yet. Its going to be a right PITA to remove it as now that my transmission tunnel panels are on I'll require a 90 degree drill adapter to drill out the rivets. Luckily I riveted an aluminium strip down the tunnel which only requires 6 rivets to be taken out rather than having to awkwardly drill out all of the p-clips.

So I've decided now to instead of having rubber fuel hose running the hole length of the car I will have some metal pipe down the tunnel with rubber hose on the ends as it'll be a lot easier to replace in the future.

Old 15th June 2014, 08:30 PM

I am doing the same, 'obtained' a length of pipe used to plum kerosene tanks in then rubber from roughly seat back panel to tank and rear of engine bay to fuel filter then carbs. Is also handy as I can reduce diameter one side of fuel filter.

Russ
Old 14th September 2014, 10:47 PM

Ive managed to make quite a lot of progress on the car over the past week. The new fuel line is in, it was an absolute pig to fit and requires chiselling out rivets but one broken rivet gun later (on the final rivet I might add!).

This weekend I refitted the engine/gearbox/propshaft after making mods to my engine mounts, filling the gearbox with oil and giving it a bit of a clean up.

Next job completed was to carry on wiring the engine bay, I've now figured out where everything needs to go and ordered the rest of the bits I need including a megajolt ECU. The brake switch has also been wired up.

Ive also refitted the exhaust system and cut a hole in the side panel for it, I've ordered some black exhaust wrap and a clamp to finish it off. I just need to source a gasket for my ford manifold to seal the downpipe.

Next job completed was to drill holes in the side panels for the brake flexy hoses and I've fitted some rubber grommets to make it IVA safe as well.

Finally I have ordered the remaining bits I need for my cooling system and I some of the bits I need for my throttle cable.

So all in all a productive but expensive weekend!

Here are the customary pictures as proof it happened:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cJPG

Its safe to say I'm looking forward to finishing building some can start making it look more polished/painted as it has definitely aged a lot in the 5 years I've been building.

Last edited by Tatey : 14th September 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:19 PM

Keep at Simon, We will both get there one day

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 15th September 2014, 01:27 PM

How is your build progressing Paul?

Old 15th September 2014, 04:34 PM

Where do I start Simon,it was a rolling chassis and then I changed jobs (unwillingly) so went on hold for a while with little progress.
Now fully powder coated (another story) and putting it back together slowly as time and money permits,plenty of time the grandaughter is only 3 3/4 lol.
One of these days

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 20th September 2014, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Going faster than mine probably. I put the part finished loom in the corner of the dining room in November!

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 21st September 2014, 07:58 AM

Well I've now completed enough engine bay wiring to get engine started, I'm just waiting for an engine earth strap to arrive and I need to buy some more battery acid to fill my battery up with. Halfords for some reason don't sell any so I'm going to try my local motor factors on Monday. Once all of that is sorted then it'll be time to fire it up!

Todays job is to continue wiring more things in the engine bay, wiring up my megajolt and bolt it in place along with the EDIS unit. I've got most of the bits I need for my cooling system so I need to cut hoses to length, it looks like it might turn out to be a reasonably near install, I was worried it was just going to look like a birds near of hoses. Then finally I'm going to try and fabricate an alternator bracket and mount that.