Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st September 2014, 09:29 AM

If your battery acid level has dropped it might be time to buy a new one as when the lead plates start to dry out that's when the problems start, also you don't fill a battery with acid it's deionised water.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 21st September 2014, 01:09 PM

Talon it is a brand new dry battery which needs filling up with electrolyte (sulphuric acid), I stupidly only got half the amount required so I need to order some more to allow me to fill the battery to get the required specific gravity.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 21st September 2014, 03:33 PM

Didn't know you could buy dry car/van batteries thought that was only big storage jobbies, I stand corrected then.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 21st September 2014, 03:58 PM

Its believe its mainly with motorcycle batteries that you can buy them dry.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 26th September 2014, 08:00 PM

Well my new earth strap, 40A inline strip fuse and extra battery acid arrived, these got fitted today and the engine now turns over under battery power which I'm very happy with! Meaning my wiring, starter motor, solenoid and battery work as expected!

Tomorrow I will be hooking up my fuel lines and trying to fire it up and I will record the compulsory first start video! It has been a long time coming .

Old 27th September 2014, 03:48 PM

It's ALIVE! After some faffing this morning and a few problems it has started! Unfortunately this wasn't the first start as I had to do a bit of faffing and thought my carbs were a bit dud as they were leaking but then give it a quick go after earthing my fuel pump (oops) it started!

The horrid noise you can hear at the start is the fuel pump kicking it, it's currently not bolted down so is vibrating off the aluminium panel.

The engine is also running on a lot of choke in the video and there are a lot of air leaks as I haven't got my carbs tightened down, or my MAP sensor fitted, it's also running on EDIS only at the moment and the exhaust hasn't got a gasket fitted. The carbs also need rejetting and a bit more setting up.

Also please ignore the smoking exhaust manifold . It's just several years of oily residue burning off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZo...ature=youtu.be

I am over the moon that it has started though! After owning the engine for about 4 years with it sitting there doing nothing and a second hand set of carbs I thought I was going to run into some real trouble with it.

The next jobs are going to be finishing off the wiring, buying the relays I need for the lights and checking that it all works. I also need to buy a new alternator as I found mine makes some interesting noises when rotating. Then I just need to finish off the cooling system, which shouldn't take too long.

Old 27th September 2014, 05:00 PM

Well done Simon!
Starting the engine for the first time is a very important step of your build, you should be very happy!
Keep up the good work
Old 27th September 2014, 05:45 PM

Nice one Simon ...ye should be aiming for next spring to be on the road so get a move on matey
Old 11th October 2014, 07:47 PM

Well todays job has been to finish wiring my ECU and mount it and the EDIS 4 unit to my bulk head which went without a hitch. I also tidied up the wiring under the dash so the cable runs are a lot better and they are nicely secured to the chassis.

I then set about trimming my bulkhead so that it fit with the side panels, it now looks a lot tidier. I haven't got any photos of that though I'm afraid.

Finally I finished my headlight wiring at the relay holders and ordered the relays I need for the headlights and indicators (LED specific one for my lights). Hopefully they will arrive soon and I'll be able to test the functionality of them.

I need to order some new bullet connectors for my front indicators so I can connect those up and run some ground connections.

It is feeling like the end is in sight now that I am finishing off jobs. I am now aiming for getting it on the road next spring, with a potential track session for a shake down prior to that.

Old 15th November 2014, 10:01 PM

Just a quick update on my build. It is still progressing! I have now changed the CV joint boots, tested my lights and had my mushrooms re-machined to allow them to be used with my shorter transit drag links. Today I have ordered the remaining bits I need for the fuel system, cooling system, most of the bits for the electrical system and some other odds and sods like nuts and bolts, throttle cable, brake actuation etc, which should arrive over the next week.

I've got a friend coming up next weekend to give me a hand as well so hopefully progress should be quickly made.

Next month I'm planning on ordering my alternator and digital dashboard which I believe will be some of the final bits I need other than IVA compliant bits and making it all look pretty.

I've now set a date to be on the road by the spring.