Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th March 2011, 10:21 PM

Default doner...........no not a kebab

has anyone else used a granada scorpio 24v cossy as a kebab for there roadster build

Last edited by KAMBO : 16th March 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:26 PM

Heh im using the rear end from the Grandad(scorpio 4 stud) kebab and sierra front uprights. Also using a grandad steering column. But not the engine as using my old skyline lump. But using the Cosworth vented 273mm disc/calipers for the rear totaly overkill so might cause problems getting the break balance right.

Things to note. granada column has mounting holes on the top rather than the back so will require you to change the steering mount location. Also the diff will require you to mod one bracket a little and install a spacer and longer bolt. Also note that the rear breaks are are bigger than sierra so you will need to make sure the balance is ok the granada rear hub has disc mounts that are a further away from the center so can mount wider discs compared to the sierra disc hubs. As for engine and box i dont really know as not using them.

Skyline Roadster

Last edited by Eternal : 16th March 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:41 PM

I know they have been used as doners by a few builders on here and they do come up at hard to ignore prices how ever.....the saying ' using a sledge hammer to crack a wall nut' springs to mind. The sierra front up rights are massive for the job they have to do on the roadster which makes the granny uprights 3 times the size and weight they need to be. Also the later models tend to have the heavier twin cams or v6's that are mated to autos or the mt75. I'm not saying don't use one only that if your starting with a light chassis why bolt sodding great lumps of cast steel to it to save £150-200 on a £2500-5000 build?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 16th March 2011, 10:49 PM

fair points guys, i was offered a complete car today for £200 i think i'll pass though and go a different route engine wise and wait to see what fabby's upright kits are like.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

24V Granada's are not that cheep these days.

I have 2 BOA's here and they are MASSIVE.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 17th March 2011, 09:24 AM
fabbyglass

This is where the fabricated upright and wishbone package will come into play as the parts from dead sierras or granadas are not only damn heavy they don't do much for how the car handles...

You don't need discs on the rear of a 7 as the rear won't be doing much breaking, it the balance aint right you are going to lock the arse end up every time you dab the brakes.
Drums are cheaper and maybe even lighter, you can drill holes in them if you really feel the need as ventilation but if they were good enough to stop a fat lardy Sierra they will be more than enough to cope with 7, just use quality friction material.

Too many fit daft horsepower motors yet the best thing with 7 is handling, braking not outright power as these beasts are too light to use it.

Reet best I shut up as spaceboat nicely warmed up, Im ooorf for a wee buzzabout