Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2011, 09:35 PM

Default IVA/Registration number confusion

Apologies - this topic has probably been done to death! Just starting building and have spent weeks on the internet trying to understand the basics of getting either an age-related or current registration. I don't understand exactly how a donor car's number is given when the chassis, bodywork etc probably look nothing like the original. I'd like to (try) to get a current registration (budget permitting) but can't see how to do that either because the whole diff/rear axle etc will probably need to be recon as I don't think they're available new - and most gearboxes seem to use reconditioned cases. So - any advice/help/experience will be really appreciated!
Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 09:52 PM

Default Welcome to the forum

Hi,
As you have found, the process can be a little bit of a minefield & at times also like a lottery, i,ve heard that some builders have been issued with a "New" current registration even tho they may not have fulfilled ALL the requirements to attain a "New" registration.

With regards getting an "Age related " registration.....If you build your car from a single donor ( as I have done ) & that car is registered in your name ( which is kept on SORN during the build ), when the time comes to register your Roadster you submit the relevant forms stating you have built from a single donor ....Reg number such n such.....VIN number such n such & then you "SHOULD" ( tho open to lottery scenario subject to some DVLA offices )receive an "AGE related registration, this being of the same year of your donor vehicle but NOT the same registration number .

The chassis number of your Roadster is usually given to you during your build once you have requested it from the DVLA ( local office etc ).

On a personal note .....My donor was a "G" reg Sierra 1990 & so if all goes well for me I should receive a "G" reg plate for my Roadster ...hopefully

I Hope this helps a little,
PS, there is a download available on the announcements section of the forum for a Letter to send when requesting a chassis number from the DVLA.

I hope you enjoy the forum & best wishes for your build.

cheers
andy
Old 26th October 2011, 10:17 PM

Default Thank you!

Brilliant - thanks so much not only for the help but also getting replying so quickly! I've started sourcing what I though would be the "difficult" bite like Sierra (rear) axle and diff etc. I've managed to get a used axle including hubs etc., the suddenly realised that that probably made up far more than "one refurbished component" unless the entire axle can be treated as one item. Even so, it will be expensive to buy an entirely new gearbox and diff as most seem to use at least the casings. Catch 22!

As soon as I get further along I can hopefully post some photos etc.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:35 PM

You,re welcome

Generally speaking ( lottery scenario as it seems to vary from 1 DVLA office to another how the requirements are interpreted to fulfill the registration process ), when sourcing parts from various donors as you seem to be , if you don,t go down the "New " current registration route then you will probably be given a "Q" registration for your Roadster.

Have you got the latest downloadable "IVA Manual" ? this will help during the course of your build, the classification of the Roadster is "M1" within the IVA manual guidelines.

We like photos on here

cheers
andy
Old 26th October 2011, 10:56 PM

Default New build

Yes - the intention is to go for a new build, but sourcing the Sierra type rear axle components is proving to be a bit of a problem. I even tried Quaife, who were staggeringly unhelpful and actually quite rude. Oh well, I know who won't be getting my money for a gearbox! So, I thought I could use my "one refurbished bit" as the rear axle.
I'm not really sure if it's worth the effort to avoid a "Q" plate - I'd like a new build for personal satisfaction bu don't really want to shell out for 99% new parts then fail on the 1%. Again - any guidance most welcome.
I see you offer flatpack chassis, which may be useful to know! At the risk of becoming public enemy #1 for even mentioning it - do many people build with round tube rather than RHS?
Old 27th October 2011, 10:56 AM

If you apply to your local DVLA office for a new registration the rules say that you need to have used all new parts, receipts needed, and you are allowed to use one major reconditioned part to an "as new" condition. However, this doesn't always happen - David_17 received a new registration with all used parts but the DVLA inspector didn't pick up on this and they don't always apply the rules very well. It's worth trying, worst you can get is a 'Q' plate which ain't too bad and you may have to get one anyway.

For an age related plate, which has been pretty much said, you need to have a V5 for the donor car which will be the basis for the age of plate given. Then you need to have used 3 major components from the donor car, the only real traceable one though is the engine which will be the same number as the V5. The age of the engine block will also be the basis for your emissions test.

It's not too bad a process, the local office will help and although they may not interpret the rules correctly follow their advice and you will be okay as its normally the same person that deals with the applications and they will take you through it.

All the Best.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 27th October 2011, 12:46 PM

Default Thanks again!

I really wish I'd got on here much sooner - I reckon I'd have saved myself about two months of searching the Internet, a lot of hair and would have actually started building not just getting bits together!
Just to save annoying people by posting in the wrong thread - if I've build questions (general) what's the best place to post them? Also - do VOSA not require any certification if you weld the chassis yourself? If not I've just spend a lot of time and money getting TIG coding!!
Old 27th October 2011, 01:30 PM

No weld cert needed but you can bet they will look long and hard at the welds they can see.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 27th October 2011, 02:17 PM

Wink Welding

Thanks - will make sure to use a lot (and I mean lot!) of paint!

Peter
Old 27th October 2011, 03:47 PM

Is there any advantage to having a particular type of plate? I'm thinking probably the main difference is in terms of tax and insurance ect.

Also I read somewhere that if you have a new plate you don't need to get an MOT for 3 years like all other new cars. Is there any truth to this?