Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th May 2017, 04:02 AM

So, I've been thinking more about my bodywork and have decided to take the plunge and attempt to make my own scuttle and bonnet. The scuttle I don't fin particularly alarming as I can fabricate a steel frame which I can then skin with ally. The bonnet is a source of anxiety though as if its so much as a millimetre out it'll look gash. it'd no doubt going to take some time and need huge amounts of fettling. My main motivation for this is that funding for the car is going to dry up for a while but these should take an equally long amount of time to get right so, that's fine.

Another thing I'm having second thoughts on is the eventual (meaning years) plan for the future was to turbo charge the car but the more I think about past engines that I've really enjoyed I'm tempted to go the other way and produce a crisp naturally aspirated engine. The best car motor I've used was in fact a 1.6 205 gti. It was not fast but I didn't car. It was exciting, sounded great, took off at the top end and loved to basically rev its nuts off. The close ratio gearbox was also equally important.

So, I'm very tempted to go for an ITB setup coupled with a cam change. There are also close ratio gear kits available for the MX5 box to compliment this.

Whats good about this plan as no matter what I was going to run the engine from an MS ecu which means dyno time. Why not fit the itb's no prior to IVA and pay for one lot of dyno time? Anyways, I'm on a night shift and having a thought vomit so better shut up now before I plan even more elaborate ideas.
Old 25th May 2017, 06:54 PM

For what it's worth I went supercharger on my 03 1.8 mx5 engine
Standard ecu , note the 03 ecu is classed as "adaptive" the earlier ecu' I know nowt about any how I fitted a sport cat off eBay kept the 2 o2 sensors and kept the egr system in place and its emissions were spot on no worries for Iva
Afterwards you can then go itb's or go f/I as you wish
Just ma twopenneth
Old 25th May 2017, 06:57 PM

How does it drive with the charger?
Old 25th May 2017, 09:23 PM

Awesome
There are some clips on YouTube look for Haynes roadster built now having fun by gary taylor and there are details of how I did it in my build thread on the forum but basically a mini eaton m45 charger Passat Tdi intercooler a second throttle body and some imagination to hide it all in there
The sound is great power delivery is smooth and the boost svt kick is something else
The charger is "on" all the time unlike a turbo but as I also have the svt engine I get a big kick further up the revs
Enjoy the videos
Old 25th May 2017, 09:28 PM

Should also add if you want any more info details just shout at me only to happy to help
Incidentally she is as happy tootling along as she is spiriting along ... ahem in fact we are off on Sunday touring Scotland
Don't let lack of funds put you off I didn't have an open cheque book it just takes some lateral thinking and a little more time, fabricate rather than buy, you WILL get there and remember dreams don't cost anything
Old 26th May 2017, 10:06 AM

supercharger great sound track to drive to

Gary

GaryT

what's the reason for two throttle butterfly's

Last edited by garyout : 26th May 2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:37 PM

It cuts down some of the induction roar and improves the throttling, normally the first (closest to intake) is open slightly ahead of the main one so the main one on the plenum retains its electronics the second one is bare and is just a t/b with any other ports blanked off
I did my research on mx5 nutz where there is a wealth of info and then adapted it to fit on my Haynes all out of site
Plenty of comments as people ask what the noise is and a smile when you tell them, David said it was like being chased over the mountain by a monster lol
Old 26th May 2017, 01:58 PM

I remember the supercharged mini we had the whine of the charger was so addictive even better when I changed the pulley

Gary

Norton

Hats off to you for giving the handmade body work ago I am to heavy handed for that perhaps it doesn't help working on trucks and plant for a living

Gary
Old 26th May 2017, 05:15 PM

Yep got a smaller pulley on , so I know what you mean
Old 28th May 2017, 10:03 PM

I am excited, most of all because I can have LOUVRES stamped into the bonnet!