Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2010, 06:03 PM

Default Honda B18C engine

Hi All!

I have just started my haynes roadster and I am in the very early stages of chassis construction. Just after starting my build I heard of a clean low mileage Honda Intergra type R that may be going for breaking (depending on how fixable it is after its little incident). It would be a fantastic engine but unfortunately it's rotation is opposite to that of most other engine. My plan to overcome this situation is as follows:
1. Install engine as normal and attach type 9 gearbox using custom bellhousing. This now gives me 5 reverse speeds and 1 forward.
2. Install the rear diff in an inverted position so that reverse is now forward and vice versa. I will have to look at the mounting of this and I may also need to do some customising to the filler plug and drainage plug.

Does anyone know if this works or can be done?
Old 4th January 2010, 06:12 PM

It should work in theory and I have fitted a diff in a fwd box in the wrong side before and it gives 4 rev and 1 fwd so the theory works. Only problem I can see is the shape of the ford diff and it does not look to easy to fit it upside down in the roadster chassis,it may be easier to consider another diff Freelander maybe.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:39 AM

excellent news! Thanks for the reply. I might look into another diff. It may be possible to get hold of a nissan viscous diff but I'll have to look at the mountings.
Old 5th January 2010, 01:15 PM

I know you say "Custom Bellhousing" I've had a look at some people who can machine bespoke parts up and they are listing one offs like that for £400 +

Well 400 quid is good money towards a normal engine thats not going to be a problem. If you want a jap engine, I'd recommend a 4AGE thats got loads of support in terms of tuning and parts for kit cars, or a SR20DE/T which many of the aussie guys use.
Old 5th January 2010, 07:17 PM

Other Japanese alternatives are Mazda MX-5 and Honda S2000. Both are quite rare and expensive in themselves in Europe, although in US the Miata is much more popular. As far as I know, S2k's F20C is the only Honda's clockwise car engine in the immediate past.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the other suggestions. I have considered many other alternatives but if this one works out it will be a nice way of getting 180bhp + from an NA engine with good reliability and a good price. If it does not work out, then I will go back to looking at toyota or nissan engines.
Old 7th January 2010, 01:40 PM

Currently the toyota 20v 4age is the most popular in oz in respect of costs,emissions,power etc also easy to install.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1 View Post
Currently the toyota 20v 4age is the most popular in oz in respect of costs,emissions,power etc also easy to install.
Hi Nillac where about in Cork are you I am in Limerick and Davielad is in Tipperary
Old 8th January 2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1 View Post
Thanks ozzy. I agree that the 20v 4age would be a great option, but in my case I know the owner of the donor and know the engine has had a pretty easy life and I might be able to get it at a reasonable price.

I appreciate the advise but this thread was started to know about my inteded set up and not to discuss engine options. If the deal does not work out, I'll be straight onto an "engine options" thread
Old 9th January 2010, 01:22 AM

My only real reservation with the "diff upside down" approach is that it might lead to the gearbox and final drive whining the whole time like they do on reverse in most cars. Someone has just to try and see if it's the case.