Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th January 2012, 06:35 PM

Well bits have started arriving now. On monday my harnesses and fuel filler cap arrived, on friday I picked up my seats, roll bar, fuel tank and alloys, here are the pictures of them on my car:

I've ordered a set of Toyo TR1 tyres to go on my alloys and they should hopefully be here this week.

My next job is to drill holes in the roll bar plates, as I made the mistake of trying to sit in the car and put the harness on and tighten the straps, which resulted in the roll bar toppling over and smacking me on the head...

The roll bar is 125mm taller than the book spec. It does look tall, but my head sticks a couple of inches above the seat tops and then if you add the extra height of a helmet then it makes sense to have it that height, it is a similar height to spuds.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 29th January 2012, 08:04 PM

You may already know but your front upper wishbones are upside down!
Old 29th January 2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
You may already know but your front upper wishbones are upside down!
I didn't! Thanks very much Mark.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 31st January 2012, 02:22 PM

Well my 3M Di-noc carbon film arrived so I can improve the look of my centre caps. I'm not entirely sure I like the look yet, but for £4 for the sheet I can't complain, as new centre caps are £13 each! Please let me know what you think.

My Toyo TR1 tyres arrived earlier on and these will be getting fitted on Thursday, meaning that I will be able to get my car back on wheels after a very long wait.

Old 2nd February 2012, 06:53 PM

Well my tyres are now fitted and I have to say I much prefer the look of them now.

Old 13th February 2012, 04:37 PM

Well I got sick of tripping over everything in the garage so chucked out 2.5 years of crap that I've accumulated, this included a lot of wood from old beds that I thought 'may come in handy...'. And while it was nice and tidy I thought I might as well put the wheels on and get it out in the open! So here are the pictures:

Old 13th February 2012, 04:39 PM

Old 15th February 2012, 01:54 PM

Looking good mate... have you trial fit the engine and gearbox yet?
Old 15th February 2012, 02:04 PM

Engine and gearbox have been in installed before, but I took them out to finish welding a few more brackets on and to primer the chassis. They will be going back in once the seat mounts have been made and the roll bar rear stays are in, as well as the welding of a few other bits then the chassis can be primed again and then painted and then the floor can be put in.

I ordered the aluminium yesterday and it came to a grand total of £202 inc VAT and delivery. however that was for 1 sheet of 2500x1250 5251 2mm and 2 sheets of 2500x1250 1.2mm 1050. I was shocked at the price as I got a quote before christmas of £176, for 3 sheets of 1050 and 1 of 5251 inc vat but this didnt include delivery.

Old 10th May 2012, 06:52 PM

Quick update from me, I've put the engine and gearbox back in the car for the time being as I got annoyed at tripping over the engine. My aluminium inlet manifold arrived from FastDan over at locostbuilders, my ZX6R carbs are also here so they have been bolted up to the head, I ordered some starrett hole saws last week which arrived early this week so I can cut out the hole for the sausage airfilter backing plate.

I've been making good progress on the pedal box which is nearly finished now, just need to finish the pedals and drill the holes for the master cylinder then fully weld.

I've also completed my roll bar which was quite a satisfying job to do.

I've recently been ordering a lot of parts ready for finishing exams at the end of May so I can get a good 6 weeks worth of work done on the car, brake pads arrived yesterday, which upon fitting I found out one of my calipers is seized, quick phone to my local motorfactors revealed they have a reconditioned pair in stock that they wanting rid of so are happy to sell them to me for £25 each, which seems like a good deal as they are £40 on ebay (£15 if you return your current set and then postage on top of that).

My clutch cable arrived today and I think my headlights (from SVC) and front indicators were attempted to be delivered earlier so I should get them tomorrow, my handbrake cable should hopefully arrive tomorrow as well.

Finally I've ordered a loom from Premier Looms for £160, which will be arriving in 2-3 weeks, I was originally planning on making my own loom, but thought life is too short and I don't really enjoy electrics so thought I should make my life a bit simpler and buy one off the shelf and hopefully get my car on the road sooner.

Next on the list is some more steel so I can make mounts for the passenger seat and some aluminium strip to secure the fuel tank + run some strip down to transmission tunnel for the loom, brake lines and fuel lines.

Then I'll be measuring up and ordering the propshaft, and brake and fuel lines. and putting then painting the chassis + putting the floor in.