Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th May 2010, 09:36 PM

Default Dash layout design

Hi guys

I've been doing some thinking on paper about my dash layout (see attached).

I'm rather lucky in that I have access to a laser cutter capable of working with various plastics, I'm thinking I'll probably make my dash plate from acrylic and then bolt the whole pannel onto my ali dash visable through the steering wheel. The speedo and tachometer would be comercial items and mounted onto the acrylic dash plate.

The laser cutter can also etch so my plan is to etch the warning symbol and fuel gauge graphics straight onto the acrylic and then light them from behind with LEDs, controlled by a box of magic electronics of my own design (my dads rather into his electronics which comes in handy!)

Does the IVA requier that these warning symbols are of some standard design and lit with specific colours? Would I get away with copying the symbol design from the internet and lighting with 'off the shelf' LEDs? I know for example that the indicator symbols must be green but does it have to be a cirtain 'type' of green?!

The Roadster logo could also be etched on, a nice touch IMO What do you think of the design???

Cheers
Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash Design 2.jpg (19.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 13th May 2010, 09:56 PM

How much and where can i get one from ? It looks good to me, can't wait to see the finished item.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer to the LED colour question.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 13th May 2010, 11:06 PM

Just have a look in a new production car for the colours of the symbols.
Old 14th May 2010, 01:46 AM

Dashboard looks cool Josh, should look really good.......

IVA manual is quite extensive regarding interiors lights and symbols, have a look on page 214 for full list:

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/Reso...20May%2009.pdf

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 14th May 2010, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Not a bad idea at all, I can get our technology dept to do laser cut stuff too so I will have to remember this come the time. I was thinking of adapting the sierra clocks in new housing/face so this may work out

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 15th May 2010, 09:31 AM

Can anyone recomend where to buy my speedo and tacho? Would anyone suggest a particular brand?
Old 17th May 2010, 10:27 PM

Default clocks

i am very impressed with etb instruments,5 clocks ,all senders inc tank,adjustable speed etc £330 all in ,when you see what you get ,it is worth it. phil
Old 18th May 2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Can anyone recomend where to buy my speedo and tacho? Would anyone suggest a particular brand?
Hello Josh,

Just put this clock set into the Saturn Roadster and am very impressed with it, made by KOSO comes with oil and water temp senders, digital speedo sensor and rpm sensors. Does 0 to 60 times and distance times.

In the process of arrange to supply through Saturn on behalf of the importer for approx £215. Within the steering wheel exclusion zone so IVA friendly.

Or something similar would be good.

Regards...AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1629.JPG (66.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1630.JPG (63.1 KB, 82 views)

Regards..........AndyH
Old 18th May 2010, 01:42 PM

Spud - was considering one of them myself in the future - even put a motoribke sender in the tank in aticipation!. Is that the RX2n? Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for it - wanted a nosy so I could look at the setup but cannot find one online.

If you do supply them what would also be useful is the adaptor and sensor to fit directly onto a type 9 box. I think the one adaptor and sensor that Burtons do might work. I'm guessing there is not enough room to fit it flush into the dash between the top of the steering cowl and the top of the scuttle looking at your pic?

Cheers

Dave
Old 19th May 2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimurray View Post
Spud - was considering one of them myself in the future - even put a motoribke sender in the tank in aticipation!. Is that the RX2n? Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for it - wanted a nosy so I could look at the setup but cannot find one online.

If you do supply them what would also be useful is the adaptor and sensor to fit directly onto a type 9 box. I think the one adaptor and sensor that Burtons do might work. I'm guessing there is not enough room to fit it flush into the dash between the top of the steering cowl and the top of the scuttle looking at your pic?

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes it is the RX2n, which goes upto 10k the other version goes upto 20k. The fuel sender runs of either 100k or 500k which works off the Sierra. The Dash does not fit flush above the steering wheel but looks okay on the bracket.
The kit comes with its own active speed sensor plus fixing bracket which works off magnetic induction against any rotating part. Mine works fine off the uj on the prop. Means you can do away with type 9 adaptors. You then set the number of pick up points, 8 for the uj, wheel circumference divided the diff ratio. Speed can then be checked and adjusted by gps receiver.
I've attached a scan of the wiring installation - cant attached large files though so quality aint too good.

Should Help.....AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img005.jpg (83.9 KB, 61 views)

Regards..........AndyH