Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2009, 08:01 PM

Default A few queqstions before i start

First i'd like to say hi!

I registered here today but i own the book for about 2 years now.
I havn't started the build yet but i'm hoping to do so soon.
Meanwhile i'm doing all the perparation work i can, like figuring out the amounts of steel to buy, which length's to cut from one length of steel to make as little loss as i can, things like that.

I do however have a few questions that i need answered before i want to continue:

1) I'm 1 meter 88 cm's big (6 feet 2" ?). Not extraordinary big but not too small either. In all the picture's of finished builds the seat seems to be placed as far back as possible already. Will my length couse a problem with legroom if i don't modify the chassis?

2) All the plans show steel sizes, but not always very specific, the 25x25 i found by research on this forum to be 1.5mm thickness. The internal diameter for the wishbones i found in the book to be 12.5mm. but i can't find the size for the rear panel tube's (rp1, rp2, rp3). 12.5 internal diameter seems a bit heavy duty for these parts. Same goes for the 19x19 RHS, i can't work out the thickness for those either but suspect they are 1.5 too, is that correct?

3) The donor will very likely be a sierra but i want to use the c20xe engine from vauxhall. Will that engine fit into the chassis good without sticking out of the bonnet and is it hard to fit a gearbox for that engine into the chassis?

Thats all i can think of right now, but i'm sure i'll be back with more questions later

Thanks in advance, Jonathan
Old 30th June 2009, 08:16 PM

I can answer 1 of the questions for you, as i dont have my build book with me at the moment to answer your second question (all of my chassis steel arrived last week)

1) Im 6'6" and i've been told i will fit, if not i can move the pedal box futher into the engine bay.
Old 30th June 2009, 08:17 PM
Chris Gibbs

Welcome Jonathan!!

At 1m 88cm you'll be fine, My car has been driven by someone at 1m 93cm, it is possible to gain more space by extending the wheelbase or moving the pedal box into the engine compartment.

Most of the steel used is 16 guage which is around 1.6mm, the wishbones are seamless tube with a 2.5mm wall.

I'm sure someone on here is using that engine but my swiss cheese brain won't tell me who it is!

I'd ask on Locostbuilders http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/index.php# too but it seems to be broken again at the moment.

Cheers

Chris
Old 30th June 2009, 08:52 PM

wow thanks for the fast reply's

when you say most of the steel is 1.6mm does that mean the 19 mm diameter tube is too or is that just for the 25x25 and the 19x19?

Just checked the book again and it seems the 12.5 internal diameter is just for the stainless steel bushing tube, the drawing indeed shows they are 2.5.
Old 30th June 2009, 08:54 PM
Chris Gibbs

Yes, the 19mm is 1.6 wall too.

Cheers

Chris
Old 30th June 2009, 08:59 PM

a warm welcome to the crazy world of Roadster building i mean the forum.

just a note... if you intend using the Triton Race products bodywork then you don,t need the tube steel for the rear tub area.

without putting my foot in it alot of builders use what they can source as long as it works with the chassis you build without altering the chassis in a drastic way.
good luck with your build,

andy
Old 1st July 2009, 02:38 PM

Welcome Jonathon,

I'm 6'7", 16stone and built the Haynes for the extra room. My legs are slightly bent but i fit in fine and drive it no problem. If you get Fabby's seats they give you as much room as you need and are very comfy.

You'll be fine....Andrew
Old 1st July 2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
3) The donor will very likely be a sierra but i want to use the c20xe engine from vauxhall. Will that engine fit into the chassis good without sticking out of the bonnet and is it hard to fit a gearbox for that engine into the chassis?
A Redtop can go onto the type 9 gearbox from a Sierra Donor, with a adapter Bellhousing and fitting kit. Using a type 9 means no chassis mods A redtop will fit in there without too much trouble, just ditch any PAS pumps etc.

You can try http://www.yukspeed.com/parts.htm who sell the gear for mating a C20XE onto a type 9 gearbox.
Old 1st July 2009, 06:52 PM

Thats good news that it will fit good!

There are a few rwd gearboxes out there for the redtop that will fit to them right away, i'm more intrested to know if they will fit the tunnel that is used in the chassis plans. If its just a diffrence in supports that shouldnt be a problem. You happen to know if some vauxhall rwd box does fit into the tunnel?
Old 1st July 2009, 07:05 PM
Chris Gibbs

I don't know about the GM boxes but if you need more room there are modifications in the anouncements section, under MT75 mods (this is the larger Ford box)

Cheers

Chris