Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2011, 08:30 PM

Default Compound cuts for inlet manifold

Someone please put me out of my misery, I have now cut up about 2 meters of steel tube trying to get the correct angles to make the inlet flange of the CVH meet the inlet spacing of the ZXR6 carbs I have. I am trying to cut these tubes using a miter saw set at the horizontal angles I need, this works fine all the holes line up perfectly but then need to set a vertical angle between the two plates of 30 degrees to allow the float bowls to sit level. I have tried putting the tubes into the miter saw at 15 degrees off level at each end and making the cuts and also by changing the phase of the cuts by 30 degrees and many other permitations but nothing works. Does anyone know how to di this or of a website or program that would help me create a paper template to wrap around the tubing etc ?
Old 17th July 2011, 10:07 PM

You need to make a paper wrap to go around the tube . There was a miter tube program you could down load on the forum to help.
Then use a thin cutting disk to cut the tube

Last edited by gus : 17th July 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 17th July 2011, 10:26 PM

Talking Cheats way is best.

Eg. if the tube you want is app 6" long and you need compound angle on each end. Cut two bits of tube app 4" long and slit one of the tubes down the middle and open it up so the other tube slides inside like a telescope. You can then fashion the angle one end offer it up to the flange, you can then angle the other end to suit and if slightly out rotate the two pieces and keep dressing the ends till right, you can also alter length to suit on the telescopic bit if you naff up.Tape them together when spot on and copy to a good bit.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 17th July 2011, 10:57 PM

It's a simple thing to do if you have a point of reference on the tube and a vertical mill with a ripper cutter. Can you do a drawing for a machine shop to follow?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 18th July 2011, 02:41 PM

Can do sketches but dont have a cad package or I could probably draw the tubes then print out
Old 18th July 2011, 03:29 PM

Its a slower process, but I made a jig for my manifold to help. Clamped the flange in place and offered up the cut tubes. Tweaked them a little as compound angles are a swine. Had to redo a couple, marking the incorrect tubes to get a better cut next time. Then once I was happy fully welded it. Knowing perfectly the tubes were all in the correct place and angles were correct. I've attached a photo from when I did it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side-Inlet Manifold Jig.jpg (74.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 18th July 2011, 07:38 PM

Just a little tip, using the same method as the last post, use a jig excatly as shown but to 'tweek' the tubes and get them to the right angle try using pipe lagging which can be cut and played with until you get the angles right then wrap a bit of paper around the lagging cut it flush with the end and then transfer the profile to your pukka tube

That's what I've done in the past

Rapid
Old 18th July 2011, 10:09 PM

Smile Doh

I plan to make mine with plasticlne/ play dough then wrapping with stiff paper and transferring to the tube to cut. One question though --does the tube need to be ROUND -Im thinking about using box section !
Old 19th July 2011, 06:43 AM

er i would start buy cuting one tube over length and manual cutting it to suit starting with cyl 2+3 then making 1+4 as thay would be at more of an angle.
if your miging it a gap will not be a problem
Old 19th July 2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks Guys, I have done roughly what BAZ-R said. I made a jig to hold the top and bottom flanges in place then cut the horizonal angles I know and then made the tubes too long then offerred them up and sawed and filed until good fit. I have one tube left to complete and will post a photo when finished.

many thanks for all your suggestions