Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2009, 09:38 PM
fabbyglass

Okey doke but still think anyone intending to get into doing this should build a car and show it off to try and convert non kit car folk into having a go at making their own kit.

Those that have met me know I talk rubbish most of the time anyway so I wouldn't listen to me If I was you........
Old 19th July 2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Okey doke but still think anyone intending to get into doing this should build a car and show it off to try and convert non kit car
No wish to convert non kit car folk, but if they come to my workshop there will usually be at least three kit cars here anyway, so if conversion is needed then I guess it can be accomplished.

Thanks for the advice, and as I did say earlier the only reason for wanting to build a chassis in the first place was so that I could have one on which to build one or more cars when other work is held up. What I was reacting to was the thought put forward by several posters that I had to make a complete car before I could offer anyone else a chassis, and this does seem illogical, hence my requesting more information about this rather odd sounding idea.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:02 PM

Hello again,
it would seem that my comment about building a car first may have been taken in slightly the wrong context,
I was not doubting the integrity of the chassis design ( if i did i wouldnt have a 99% completete one sat in my workshop)
my point was more about the fact that there are still areas that people are having problems with and also you really will have to complete a car to know that all brackets required are actually there (i keep finding bits that are needed and i thought i had almost finished my chassis)
also there are quite afew brackets needed that you cant do until you decide on a rad or bodywork etc even just a bracket for the horn.
i would be alittle annoyed if i bought a"complete"chassis and later found i had to weld bits to it but thats just me
also if people buy a chassis and it is all there then you will get a good reputation but if people buy one and have to finish it by adding bits here taking off bits there then you will get a bad reputation
maybe some of these reasons are why others havent come up with the expected complete off the shlf chassis you were looking for
if you bought a westfield or caterham chassis would you expect it to be finished (no welding)
Ray
Old 19th July 2009, 10:07 PM

OOH, my missus just said " how can u have a complete chasis with engine mounts if you dont know what engine type or size is going in it?? Yet another flaw to these complete chasis ideas, u would need to be building it to the buyers spec rather than just a run of the mill"
So there u go even a woman understands where i am coming from lol
Old 19th July 2009, 10:19 PM
fabbyglass

You can make them to suit different engines, i used to do mounts for the Pinto, zetec, R1, Fireblade and zx9 so there were choices to be had. As for brackets for the rad etc these really should be on the chassis but most kits don't have them... And some have bodywork that doesn't fit but heyp thats kit cars for you....

The beauty of doing it yourself at home is you make it to suit what you have but a company has to draw a line somewhere or they all become "one offs" and unless folk pay "one off" money it won't be cost effective.

Same applies to grp, the moulds make what the moulds make and if anyone wants something different then a plug needs to be made and then a mould, this all takes time and money.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:23 PM

may i add my own personal thoughts on this.......

i,m am looking at producing complete chassis,s to sell on, whilst i have been building my own car i,m learning a great deal about as has been said about the little bits that need adding on even when you think you have completely finished welding, horn, rad brackets etc, also the engine mounting positions is something that would need to be finalised when the order is placed.

my feeling is if i,ve built my own car i would feel confident in giving advice to anyone that has a query, if i had experience of the query i would then offer a possible solution etc.

i am not knocking anyone,s way of how to go about their own builds or anyone wishing to supply a chassis, i just feel in myself that i would/have gained a hands on knowledge of the process to build a Roadster.

i wish all who take the decision to supply a chassis for selling on to a customer the very best of luck, & hope their venture is a prosperous one .

andy

andy
Old 19th July 2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post
maybe some of these reasons are why others havent come up with the expected complete off the shlf chassis you were looking for
if you bought a westfield or caterham chassis would you expect it to be finished (no welding)
Ray
I believe I see what you are getting at, but I think we are talking about two different things.

I am proposing to sell complete Haynes Roadster chassis as described in the book and subject to the ammendments published on this form. Now, if that is what someone wants that's great, and we will both be happy.

If, on the other hand, someone wants to fit for instance, a SOHC Ford V8 with a Tremec box then what I am selling isn't going to suit them, so either they can buy it knowing that they are going to have to modify it, or order it, and supply the power unit and let me make the required modifications, and pay the extra, or....... not buy it.

I really can't see how my having made a pinto-engined standard roadster chassis is going to have the slightest impact on the example described above.

Please bear in mind I spend all day building and modifying kit cars, so I do have some idea of what is involved. As a for instance of that I will not be doing the CP16 as in the book (the plate that the steering column passes through), but instead will modify it to receive a proper bearing which I will supply.

I hope that reassures all those who feel that I need to build a complete example before I can offer a chassis to anyone else
Old 19th July 2009, 10:39 PM

I might be wrong but I think the book engine mounts are more or less OK as is

Why do I say this !!??

The book was based on the Pinto engine.

I had originally tacked my engine mounts up exactly to the book spec.

Test fitted a CVH engine, The only work needed to be done was to slot the holes

Now I am going to go the Zetec route. Test measurements show that by fabricating engine mounting arms to suit the Zetec engine & the book spec mounts will be fine as is.

If I were to produce a chassis for re-sale, I would slot the enine mount holes as a matter of course.

I'll try to post a picture as soon as I can

Aftermarket Zetec engine mounting arms are available, off the shelf. Cost an arm & a leg for what they are though

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 19th July 2009, 10:49 PM
fabbyglass

The MK etc are designed for the pinto if you want to fit owt else thats up to you think that goes for most kit cars really as impossible for them to cater for every engine out there.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:04 PM

Found this post interesting because it talks about exactly what I'll be looking to buy in 5 months time.

I think that a complete chassis should require no further welding, but would anticipate certain aspects to be made universal (such as the slotted engine mounts mentioned)