Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd June 2009, 10:38 PM

If you feel the need for speed or just something a little better than the ford carb use a 28/36 Weber or even 40's.Straight swap and no making manifolds etc.
Big Vern has raised my fears as per previous post regarding changes to car post IVA and indeed they may re examine the car along with all the hassle,dont forget the cost and of course it wont be cheap.
Look at it ths way,CVH, big fat estate car 100 mph ? CVH very light Roadster
very quickly to 100 MPH with handling to match as you very well know.

The choice is yours......
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
If you feel the need for speed or just something a little better than the ford carb use a 28/36 Weber or even 40's.Straight swap and no making manifolds etc.
Big Vern has raised my fears as per previous post regarding changes to car post IVA and indeed they may re examine the car along with all the hassle,dont forget the cost and of course it wont be cheap.
Look at it ths way,CVH, big fat estate car 100 mph ? CVH very light Roadster
very quickly to 100 MPH with handling to match as you very well know.

The choice is yours......
Hi Flyerncle, thanks again for the info & yes i do "see" what you are saying with regard the power/weight equation from donor to Roadster, in all honesty having been in some very quick "7" style cars i,m envious of the power they have & maybe i,m longing for the same, the more i get into my build the better i want the end product to be, not in a financial sense but purely from an enjoyment sense, maybe this is my past(bike racing) catching up on me with wanting that adrenalin rush.
thanks for all for the input/advice, it is appreciated
cheers
andy
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:54 PM

Once you turn the key and that engine start I think you will get all the rush you need and will be smiling for a week.
Going solo in a light aircraft for the first time at an international airport is the best rush I have ever had,high as a kite for a week!

Go for it.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Once you turn the key and that engine start I think you will get all the rush you need and will be smiling for a week.
Going solo in a light aircraft for the first time at an international airport is the best rush I have ever had,high as a kite for a week!

Go for it.
what ???? you stayed in the air for a week???? "high as a kite for a week" sorry pulling your leg.
yes i can only imagine the rush that experience gave you, fantastic achievement to get to that level

maybe when i finish my car & the first thrill wears off i,ll be saying to myself "want more power", & yes i,m greedy when it comes to vehicle power.
cheers
andy
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:19 PM

What kind of power could you get out of the CVH? I know they aren't the most tuneable of Ford engines, but they were pretty large volume and there must be quite a range of bits? If the engine is sound, I would be inclined to go for some fairly mild mods up to the point that big money is required. Perhaps then change to a Zetec?
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:23 PM

I know loads of jap scene people that modify/change engines on cars as soon as the car has had its import SVA. I've never heard of anyone being asked to attend an inspection.

I've just searched through VOSA website, DVLA website and the IVA PDF. Can't find any info regarding inspections for engine change. All you need is proof in the form of a reciept for the engine, a letter from a garage or 3rd party inspector (AA, RAC etc)

From the DVLA (no mention of engine)
Quote:
Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:

* wheel plan
* body type
* vehicle identification number (VIN)
* chassis number
* frame number for motorcycles
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:29 PM

Slimtater.... i believe the most that a cvh engine would manage is about 100 bhp, tho i stand to be corrected..... the cvh 1600 engine has more tuning bits available as this was the engine of the XR3 era,
to date i,ve been in 3 "7" style cars, yours , spud,s & a mate from locostbuilders forum that has a hyabusa turbo engine & that was quick, so thats why i,m thinking my poor little cvh won,t be enough for me, i,m being honest with myself that i will want more from my car. hmmmmm
cheers
andy
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:38 PM

thanks Deezee, that makes more sense in that yes the local dvla office will need to inspect the car after an engine change to confirm what i,m telling them is the truth, ie engine changed to this engine number from xyz company with receipt etc, i imagine its to stop people registering a 1.6 engine then putting in a whopping V8 but only paying car tax as a 1.6., the way i see it is the dvla are more concerned over which class the vehicle is taxed on rather than emissions etc as thats left to mot stations etc.
i might be wrong but thats how i see it.
andy
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
thanks Deezee, that makes more sense in that yes the local dvla office will need to inspect the car after an engine change to confirm what i,m telling them is the truth, ie engine changed to this engine number from xyz company with receipt etc, i imagine its to stop people registering a 1.6 engine then putting in a whopping V8 but only paying car tax as a 1.6., the way i see it is the dvla are more concerned over which class the vehicle is taxed on rather than emissions etc as thats left to mot stations etc.
i might be wrong but thats how i see it.
andy
I think you have hit the nail square on the head Andy

Being as there is so much conflicting information available on the DVLA & VOSA websites. I would urge anyone that is unsure of any of the issues raised in this and other threads to write to thier local DVLA office for written confirmation of thier views.

I have spoken to my local IVA examiner in person. He has given me guidelines based on his interpretation of the rules.

This is the person who will carry out my IVA inspection. I would be a madman, not to follow the advice given.

I now have a letter prepared for my local DVLA office, hopefully I will get a written response that addresses my concerns over engine & donor parts required for an age related plate.
It is my understanding that you do not need to use the donors engine to obtain an age related plate as enough parts will be used from the donor to qualify for an age related plate.

Ultimately, my local DVLA will handle the registration of my buld. Again I will follow thier advice to the letter.

As said before different offices may give different guidelines, so many of the rules are open to personal interpretation of them.

If in doubt Andy. Ask the local offices that will be dealing with you build.

With a little luck all will be plain sailing. Fun all the way from then on

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:54 AM

Ronnie, thanks for the info, yes i agree that a contact with the local dvla is the way to go, thats what i,ll be doing as i have an office in my home town, i,ve been reading thru old posts/threads & this situation has come up before & basically the feeling is that the dvla inspection office is just to check numbers of supplied information given by the builder that for taxation class allocation that the numbers match, ie engine number ( engine size checkable) & chassis number before the vehicle can be taxed, & i presume the same applies to changing an engine, ie taxation class, tho i will be checking this out with dvla,

but then again with the new IVA regs there might be something in it about emission testing of new engine compared to the test of the engine as presented at the actual test, confusing yes but i,ll dig deeper & find out & post my findings on this thread.
all the best
andy