Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2010, 07:12 PM

Congrats Kev.
Just taken delivery of my chassis and donor parts today . Part of the deal involved an engine hoist. I only live in Tow Law, so if you have transport to collect it and bring it back you can borrow it for your engine out. I'll even come and give you a hand if I'm not at work.
Just let me know if you're interested.
Alan
Old 26th April 2010, 07:20 PM

Hi Alan thats an offer I can't refuse now can I ...good man I see you got well and truly sorted half way through a build and not even started
will be sometime however cos I promised the missus I would move heaven and earth this year .....she's a hard taskmaster but with things like this it gives you the impetus to get stuff done that you promised last week, last month, last year
you catch my drift, but it is nice to know I will only need to buy an engine stand
cheers Alan
Old 26th April 2010, 07:46 PM

No probs Kev, I'll probably be keeping it for a while anyway. It will fold up and lie down in the back of a car with the seats down. I was gonna try and manage without an engine stand, but I'm only planning on giving the engine a lick of paint and a clean up.
It's good to know there's someone near to me who's going to be in the same boat.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Hi Terry
5 spoke Dezents at 17"....came off a Saph cossy don't half look the dogs even just sitting in a pile (and will be staying there for some time yet ) Still a ways off starting as still in the process of collecting but envisage starting the chassis in a month or so
Kevin
Nice wheels but 17" are big for a seven style car, im a fan of bigger wheels and had 20"s on my last tintop but am sticking with 15" on the roadster for maximum acceleration and it will be nice to not have to fork out a fortune on tyres for a change as they wont be lasting long

Also what width are they? the reason i ask is the front cycle wings, they must cover the full width of the tyre for IVA, so check you can get wings to suit the width of your tyres. Im using the saturn ones and they wouldnt cover much more than 195 tyres.

Not saying you dont use them just letting you know the slight draw backs of bigger wheels
Old 26th April 2010, 09:11 PM

Mark,

I like large wheels as well and kinda like the idea of 17’s. Ash was trying to dissuade me.

With reference to acceleration, if the rolling radius of the 17’s was the same as the 15’s I would assume the acceleration would be the same.

The problem is as you have said the width.

Hijack over.

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 09:45 PM

Hi Mark
yes I had thought about the width and I need 9" minimum tyres are 215's I know I am opening a can o worms but I coulod not resist those rims and I will do my dammed'st to get them on wheeeeel see eh I would not like to break with tradtion and make the roadster purposley harder to build than it already is