Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th January 2008, 06:03 PM

Default Mondeoa as a donor?

would it be possible to use a Ford Mondeo as a donor? I know most are front wheel drive, is there anyway of converting this to rear wheel drive as I know this suits the roadster better!
Old 6th January 2008, 06:40 PM

hi i,ve been doin some research on fitting either a zetec or duratec from a mondeo .
they are desirable engines and they will mate with the sierra gearbox easily
But !!!! to get them to run always seems expensive ie .throttle bodies and stand alone management system always seem to add up to about £2000 .
Try this website for some really good info and they have also found a budget way of getting the zetec to run on salvage parts

www.zetec-cat.co.uk

hope its of use
les g
Old 6th January 2008, 06:47 PM
Chris Gibbs

The mondeo four cylinder engine (Zetec) is a very usable engine, you will need to sort out the fuelling and ignition, the standard system can be adapted but it's probably easier to use the megajolt/megasquirt electronic unit

Megasquirt link

The engine will also run on carburettors, usually twin 40 DCOE webbers.

This is a good site about the engine too

Zetec inside

You'll need a rear wheel drive gearbox, either the type nine as used in the book or the MT 75, plans are on the forum for the fitment of this box. These gearboxes were fitted to the Capri, Cortina, Sierra, Granada (type nine) and later RWD Fords, Sierras, Granadas, Transits (MT75).

The Mondeo front upright is not really suitable for our uses, being optimised for front wheel drive, The rear upright is completely unsuitable as there is no facility to fit driveshafts for RWD.

In short you could use the engine but the rest of the running gear would need to be sourced from a Sierra, the other alternative would be to find one of the rare 4 wheel drive Mondeos and only fit the RWD axle.

Hope this Helps

Chris

Last edited by Chris Gibbs : 6th January 2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 6th January 2008, 09:31 PM

if you talk to burton they supply bell housing to suit all ford 4 cyliders to lots of boxes and the type 9 they al so can supply bran new duratec engin 2.0 liter for 2 k witch will come ready 4 rwd set up
Old 18th April 2008, 05:30 PM

I've been considering using a circa 1998 ST24 engine, I presume the problems I'd have would be akin to the problems faced by the use of any other Mondeo engine?