Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2011, 10:26 PM

I decided using an e36 (twin cam 140 bhp) was the way to go,and now its almost finished.I will admit that developing parts and overcoming the various problems making it fit the chassis almost took their toll financially, but when you lift the bonnet and see BMW emblazened on the rocker cover it's been well worth it.
Old 30th July 2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmc2005 View Post
I decided using an e36 (twin cam 140 bhp) was the way to go,and now its almost finished.I will admit that developing parts and overcoming the various problems making it fit the chassis almost took their toll financially, but when you lift the bonnet and see BMW emblazened on the rocker cover it's been well worth it.
Any chance of some pics to show how you have overcome the problems, im sure lots more people would go bmw route if they new what problems they may encounter and how to overcome them
Old 12th August 2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Any chance of some pics to show how you have overcome the problems, im sure lots more people would go bmw route if they new what problems they may encounter and how to overcome them
Here you go, not quite a 4-pot but a BMW lump all the same!

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 12th August 2011, 10:00 PM

Default Bmw

The 318iS would be the engine of choice for me, I had one about 8 years ago. It was fitted with a K & N induction kit and it sounded awsome especially driving through the tunnel in town. unfortunatly it's life was ended under the crash barrier on the Autobahn between Osnabruck and Bielefeld on black ice. The engine is rock solid as long as it's warmed up properly before you press the loud pedal. i think the 320iS was produced for Italy instead of the M3 because of the Italien tax rules but a solid engine if you can get hold of one.

www.rallyx.de
Old 12th August 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmc2005 View Post
Have you got any pics of the bmw build yet, would also like to see them

www.rallyx.de
Old 12th August 2011, 10:14 PM

omg thats a huage lump !!!
Old 21st August 2011, 03:24 PM

I have looked into this engine weight thing. Its not as clear cut as the written word would have you believe. A rover v8 is pretty much supposed to be around 318lbs , this would disagree, http://www.v8register.net/subpages/v...dimensions.htm.

Some of these weights advertised are complete with all ancillaries, some are just long blocks and others are inc fluids ect so I think you have to find out for yourself. I will be weighing my unit with all its stuff fitted just so I know what i have. Also some of the engines have massive cooling systems which is all extra weight.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 21st August 2011 at 03:27 PM.