Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd January 2014, 01:20 AM

Default Mx5 rear upper wishbones

Help required please ! I have been trying to put my rear upper mx5 spec wishbones together, by using the saturn & gillham plans. Unfortunately, my plans seem to be missing a few dimensions like suspension bracket location & the distance from the bush tube side of the jig to different components on the wishbone. Has anybody got a more up to date build spec ? Or some measurements to help me out a little please ? The vague build spec can be quite frustrating at times. Any help is greatly appreciated !
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:25 AM

Ah yes it can be a problem when people say 'it looks like that and it's about this long' for those that can't see my hands from where they are my fingers are 'that far apart'.
This may help a little, many thanks to forum member 'Stot' for drawing this one wednesday afternoon.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:13 AM

Massive thanks Phil ! Happy new year mate.
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:10 AM

I will agree with the thanks for this, just about to start making up my wishbones, I have my frame now in 3D and even have the steering wheel support, column and pedals SITTING in place, my frame is only tack welded together at the moment. The rear frame still needs to be made to so I can fit the MX5 diff. PLUS a Happy New Year to ALL.
Old 8th January 2014, 10:21 AM

I am a little confuzed, I have compared stots plan of the rear upper wishbones to saturn sports cars, ( saturns plans were in complete), and they very significantly at the hub end. On the short arm side, stots plan says 56mm from the board at o/s edge & saturn says 51mm, & at the other end of the upright bracket, ssc have the finishing point 10mm wider at the o/s point. I have followed the vague ssc plans throughout, but the rear wishbone plan was incomplete hence asking for dimensions on line. Car body side of the wishbone & shock bracket positions are identical. So, some help is required once more sorry ! I am building these babies up today, and don't want to do it twice. I can't check against my mazda, because the car is being stripped a few miles away. Confuzed.com !
Old 8th January 2014, 01:56 PM

Hi Jason,

My plans are of the actual wishbone dimensions. The saturn drawings measurement here are of thier jig.

The 51mm measurement is to the outside of the tab in their jig, which is 5mm steel, hence 56mm to the outside of the bracket on my drawing. Thats where your extra 10mm is coming from too, 2 x 5mm jig tabs.

Cheers
Stot
Old 8th January 2014, 03:31 PM

Lol. Really sorry, extreme blonde moment ! Just having one of those days where nothing sinks in. Stot , you are a star !
Old 13th January 2014, 06:37 PM

Lightbulb

Got the mx5 upper rear jigs down to an art ! 15mm spacing - 15mm copper pipe, used the wife's glue gun to keep it down, & I have got some of the kids old CDs that are scratched to hell, 7 of them measure exactly 8mm ! Beutiful, chopped the beasts in half, half a pack for each bush tube, glued down of course. just thought that I would share this with everybody, because I was scrambling around a little, and didn't fancy cutting wafer thin slices of material, when I can use something else. Hope that this helps somebody ! I would just like to thank bob the builder, for donating his crap cd, to such a worthy cause.