Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2010, 07:02 PM

Default Contesting Q plates

My build is going to use a non donor engine and gearbox... but all the rest from a sierra donor (ie, dif/shafts/hubs/steering/clocks/other bits that i cant think of) Im worried that i wont be able to obtain a age related plate and thus transfer my personal plate (birthday gift) to the car when its all done im only going to build one of these so want it done right. I remember seeing a points system somewhere but i just dont think i will have enough parts to be able to get away with it. my questions are....

1) has anyone got a age related plate with a non donor engine/gearbox

2) how hard is it to contest (in a non violent way) a Q plate

The other option is to build the chassis to fit a skyline engine then install a cvh and mt75 from a donor get it all up and running then rebuild it all again.

Any help and advice welcome!
Old 12th June 2010, 07:35 PM

Eternal,

Have a read through this page and see what you make of it.

I am sure it will raise some debate; the page is from the DVLA web site.

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 08:30 PM

A friend of mine is curentry in the process of putting an engine, gearbox, rear axle, suspension and complete interior from his crashed Saxo into another bodyshell he bought from someone else.

Reading the paragraph about using secondhand chassis while rebuilding a car it looks like he might need to IVA the final result. Is that right?
Old 12th June 2010, 08:42 PM

As always I stand to be corrected.

I don’t think your friend requires an IVA test but should declare what he has done to the DVLA. It will be inspected by the DVLA (good luck ) then issued with a ‘Q’ plate, as he will be registering the monocoque he brought not the Saxo he crashed, if he registers the crashed Saxo, write off status notwithstanding, it looks like it is IVA time.

I think.

Maybe!

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 13th June 2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
My build is going to use a non donor engine and gearbox... but all the rest from a sierra donor (ie, dif/shafts/hubs/steering/clocks/other bits that i cant think of) Im worried that i wont be able to obtain a age related plate and thus transfer my personal plate (birthday gift) to the car when its all done im only going to build one of these so want it done right. I remember seeing a points system somewhere but i just dont think i will have enough parts to be able to get away with it. my questions are....

The other option is to build the chassis to fit a skyline engine then install a cvh and mt75 from a donor get it all up and running then rebuild it all again.

I very much doubt you will get an age related plate with that set up

Drury recently got an age related plate even though he used a zetec but everything else will have been sierra including the gearbox

If its a must on your list to get age related i would suggest using the donor set up for iva get the easy emmisions check and age related plate, then do whatever you like to it

It will just be even more work (putting it mildly!) fitting it all up to take the skyline engine then taking it out to put the sierra engine in

With such a complex install it may be wise to make it how you want it first time round and just live with the Q plate

If you are keeping the car longterm it doesnt make a difference anyway, it may affect resale price very slightly but perspective buyers will understand when you tell them why
Old 13th June 2010, 10:51 AM

Transfer the engine into the Sierra first and then it becomes part of the donor package.

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 13th June 2010, 11:43 AM

The DVLA check the engine against the donor production now. As loads of people tried it with Zetec's and as the DVLA quite rightly pointed out, the Sierra never came with a Zetec. I know the IVA will reject your claim if you say the engine came from the donor.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post

I think you'll find both Q plates and age related plates are non transferable so it's unlikely you'll be able to fit a personalised plate.
Age related plates awarded to old cars, (many lost their original identity when the V5 first came in), are not transferable.

BV.
Old 13th June 2010, 03:19 PM

Pretty sure age related are transferable.

Old ones that are not transferable are such as my old landrover which currently has its original 1953 plate on it. If I choose to transfer that plate to another car, DVLA will issue another, age related, plate to the landrover which will be non transferable from that point.

The original plate will remain transferable between vehicles.

You should be able to get age related. You need 8 points.
New chassis = 5 points
Front and rear axle assemblies = 2 points
Steering assembly = 2 points

I have a non donor engine and age related plate.

Neil

Last edited by Neil P : 13th June 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 13th June 2010, 05:00 PM

Well i will be doing a modded chassis from scratch so i think i would only get 4 points for the axle and steering. On the + side if i dont mind getting a Q i dont have to bother with a single donor i can just get bits from where i want as i dont realy want the hastle of stripping a sierra and trying to get rid of it. I live in the middle of no where and would have to hire a trailer ect.