Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th August 2009, 03:02 PM

My steering column sits further back. As its meant too. You'll need to make an extension to reach the UJ. I'm going to look through my build photos to show how I got around it.
Old 9th August 2009, 03:04 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
My steering column sits further back. As its meant too. You'll need to make an extension to reach the UJ. I'm going to look through my build photos to show how I got around it.
really, it sits further back than what i took a pic of. Where did you all extend it from, and by how much. Thanks

(hope im not questioning too much )
Old 9th August 2009, 03:08 PM

Right, here goes, I'll try to cover it all for you.

The yoke that was posted in one of my pictures bolts to the large holes in the support frame. You'll need to use some largish & thickish penny washers to ensure a good fixing.

At the bottom of the yoke there is a hole to take a Pinch bolt. This bolt passes through the two slotted holes on the underside of the steering column.

Originally this would have been fitted with an adjustmet lever & plastic fittings to help lock things in place.

You will need to fabricate some form of crush tube in order to bolt up tightly.

Your steering wheel is a tad too far forward, needs to come back a little.
The yoke & pinch bolt assembly should give you more or less the correct position.

You need a new steering column bush kit for the large hole in the bulkhead, they are available on ebay for about £5
Once this is fitted the shaft will become quite rigid.

Now, this is how I extended my shaft ....OOerrr that sounds a bit rude

The section that you currently have connected to the steering rack is the piece I used.

It was cut in half, I found some thick wall tube, cut it to the right length. I then welded the part that I cut in half to each end of the tube.

As far as I can tell. That part is made of cast steel & welded OK.
That said, as a safety feature, I will drill each end through & place a double roll pin in there.

My shaft ended up just right & not too close to the chassis or any other components.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 9th August 2009, 03:09 PM

Yeah, mine (which is an adjustable steering column) sits with maybe 100mm past the plate. Then the 1st section of the cut UJ bolts on, then the extension tube (around 400mm I think) then the other half of the UJ, that goes onto the steering rack.

Old 9th August 2009, 03:12 PM

the little plastic collar needs to go further up the column than how you have it at the mo, this then sits inside the rubber grommet thing that is held in place by the hole in the plate CP16, these are available for £4 off ebay if you haven,t got one.
i have a few pics of how i extended my column down to the coupling on the steering rack,
i,ll find them & post them up.

and no you are NOT asking too many questions, thats the purpose of the forum, i would be lost without the answers of the lots of questions i,ve asked.

cheers
andy
Old 9th August 2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Right, here goes, I'll try to cover it all for you.

The yoke that was posted in one of my pictures bolts to the large holes in the support frame. You'll need to use some largish & thickish penny washers to ensure a good fixing.

At the bottom of the yoke there is a hole to take a Pinch bolt. This bolt passes through the two slotted holes on the underside of the steering column.

Originally this would have been fitted with an adjustmet lever & plastic fittings to help lock things in place.

You will need to fabricate some form of crush tube in order to bolt up tightly.

Your steering wheel is a tad too far forward, needs to come back a little.
The yoke & pinch bolt assembly should give you more or less the correct position.

You need a new steering column bush kit for the large hole in the bulkhead, they are available on ebay for about £5
Once this is fitted the shaft will become quite rigid.

Now, this is how I extended my shaft ....OOerrr that sounds a bit rude

The section that you currently have connected to the steering rack is the piece I used.

It was cut in half, I found some thick wall tube, cut it to the right length. I then welded the part that I cut in half to each end of the tube.

As far as I can tell. That part is made of cast steel & welded OK.
That said, as a safety feature, I will drill each end through & place a double roll pin in there.

My shaft ended up just right & not too close to the chassis or any other components.
AHHH.. BRILLIANT.. Thanks for the long but full reply. i get it now. ok, ill go right aheand and fit it. i must have had one of my moments as alot of what you said seems what would be fairly obvious, but... nothings ever easy
Old 9th August 2009, 03:16 PM

i,m too slow, precisely as the two above posts, thats how i did mine.

andy
Old 9th August 2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Yeah, mine (which is an adjustable steering column) sits with maybe 100mm past the plate. Then the 1st section of the cut UJ bolts on, then the extension tube (around 400mm I think) then the other half of the UJ, that goes onto the steering rack.

thanks, the picture is of great help!!
Old 9th August 2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
the little plastic collar needs to go further up the column than how you have it at the mo, this then sits inside the rubber grommet thing that is held in place by the hole in the plate CP16, these are available for £4 off ebay if you haven,t got one.
i have a few pics of how i extended my column down to the coupling on the steering rack,
i,ll find them & post them up.

and no you are NOT asking too many questions, thats the purpose of the forum, i would be lost without the answers of the lots of questions i,ve asked.

cheers
andy
ok, so thats what the plastic collar was for, i was thiinking of hammering/cutting it off .

I really struggle to see where i would be without the almost instant help recieved from these forums . A BIG thanks to you all!!!!
Old 9th August 2009, 03:21 PM

Heres a picture to give you a better idea

Best I could manage.

Feel free to admire all of the mess in the workshop

deezee

I noticed that you did exactly the same as me

EDIT

Before someone picks up on it, I know the safety washer has to sit on the plastic bush.
I have a new one that I will fit during the final assembly.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 9th August 2009 at 03:35 PM.