Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th November 2009, 03:16 PM

Hi

Can anyone post dimensions of an "Ideal" front hub. Height between top and bottom ball joint, offset top to bottom etc. Then if anyone is looking at something other than the Sierra they will have dimensions to work to.
My current "flavor" is to use a Nissan 200SX (Silvia). The front hubs here pose a problem in that they steer from the back not the front, the strut is fastened to the inside top of the hub with two lugs and not 'plugged in' as on the Sierra.
I should be able to sort out the top ball joint without too much of a problem, not sure on the steering attachment yet, maybe a fabricated arm of some sort. Got the manual for the car at least, so have some idea of what the bits look like.

Regards

Chris
Old 16th November 2009, 11:24 PM

is it not possible to switch the hubs so they steer from the front??
Old 17th November 2009, 11:02 AM

The problem with FWD hubs, is that the ackerman angle is built in, if you reverse the hubs the steering arms will point to a point in front of the car and not the rear axle line as intended, this will mess up the steering action.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 17th November 2009, 05:06 PM

As well as the Akerman that John mentioned the other thing you need to consider if you swap hubs "side for side" is that the caster angle is facing the wrong way. You can design around this but it means some difficult wishbone angles, this is the main problem in using the Vauxhall Omega as a donor.

In answer to the perfect upright question - there isn't one. All suspension design is a compromise based on weight, required steering effort, principal use of the vehicle etc. It's a complicated process and the ability to design your own upright is part of the process that is a good thing if you can do it as you can optimise that part of the design. Usually you have to work around the limitations of the upright you're stuck with.

I've been forunate in designing the single seater so that I have an optimised upright for that particular vehicle. It might be that that upright is better for the Roadster too, it won't be optimal though as it's not purpose desugned but it might be an improvement.

Cheers

Chris
Old 17th November 2009, 09:10 PM

I thought Tiger used the Golf track control arm as the 'lower wishbone' arm as the ball joint suited the Sierra upright. That's how I remember it on their Cat E1.

BV.