Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2011, 07:35 PM

Default will this pass?

hi guys,
Will this pass???
Today i decided to sort the dash out. I have mounted warning lights, hazard switch and instruments behind the steering wheel. according to the manual all items mounted within a certain distance from the steering wheel 127mm are all exempt from the contact sphere test. According to that i think there is no need to pad the dash with foam and vinyl??
I have also rolled the bottom edge of the dash round a broom handle to the right radius.

Old 10th September 2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post

Last point just being picky and ensuring the IVA does not get you, you mention a broom handle. The bottom dash radius is 19mm or 38 mm diameter which is quite large, just want to make sure you do not just have around 20mm diameter.

Adrian
Top tip Adrian.

I think that one may have caught me out

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 10th September 2011, 09:25 PM

I think I read somewhere that if no windscreen is fitted then the exemption zone behind the steering wheel does not apply. Therefore they can test everything with the radius sphere.

Might be worth double checkng the iva manual.

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 10th September 2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I can not see a problem with it, if you feel unsure then there is a cowl that is made to hold a digidash or similar from AGM sports cars

http://www.agmsportscars.co.uk/steer...0pod%20004.jpg

Nothing to do with me just know they are available.

Has the dash been modded to always stay on mph or something?

Last point just being picky and ensuring the IVA does not get you, you mention a broom handle. The bottom dash radius is 19mm or 38 mm diameter which is quite large, just want to make sure you do not just have around 20mm diameter.

Adrian
Thanks! think the radius should be ok.
not modded the dash, first time out the box today, just set the rpm signal. when you switch ign on it all lights up then displays 0mph
Old 10th September 2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedew View Post
I think I read somewhere that if no windscreen is fitted then the exemption zone behind the steering wheel does not apply. Therefore they can test everything with the radius sphere.

Might be worth double checkng the iva manual.
just studied section 12 interior fittings and cant see anything. it says the windscreen pillar is part of the exemption zone but nothing about if there was no windscreen
Im not expecting it to pass first time, im sure the iva examiner hates every kit car, making him learn all 303 pages of iva rules and regulations lol
Old 10th September 2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
OK there was some issues with digital dashes where with pressing buttons the display went away from the mph readings, this was a fail. So there was some mod to stop it happening, yours may al;ready be OK, as I do not use the digital gear not really sure which one it was, but have a play with buttons and make sure you never lose it.

Are you getting close to completion and IVA?

Have fun

Adrian
oh rite, i think if you hold down a button for 3 seconds it goes into a settings menu and you loose the 0mph, other than that the buttons reset the trip and changes the small display from clock to water temp etc etc but you till keep the 0mph.

lots of small jobs left to do like trimming and some odd p clipping here and there but almost there. Want to try and get the paperwork sent off this month and hopefully should get a test date for October. Next week should have the exhaust finished and fitted then its a session on the rollers to get the omex mapped
Old 11th September 2011, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

to get my koso dash to pass i had to pull the buttons out so the speedo display was always shown they pull out easily with a bit of a tug as they are only held in with contact adhesive. i then used those little screw covers that hide the screws on kitchen units to cover the holes, held on with a little bit of contact adhesive. once i passed i just put the rubber buttons back.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 12th September 2011, 12:54 PM

At our VOSA center, Beverley, it's acceptable to cover the buttons so that they cant be accessed to change fro mph to kph. But as we all know it's different for every inspector. I've heard of them just asking the question in the past and if you just reply with "no you cant change it to kph" that is okay.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH