Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd December 2009, 03:17 PM

Default BMW rack

The e30 that I am yousing as a doner and was my daily is fitted with a z3 steering rack. A lot quicker than the e30 one. The rack will fit with a fettle but...
On the BMW I did not want power steering so I filled the rack with ATF flued and blanked the holes to the power steering pump. Actualy I joined them strate togeather. This has done fine on the BMW for oow lets say 30000 ish miles. Lots on track.
My consurne is that the rack is not being yoused for it's purpas. As a pawed asisted steering rack. At one glance it looks a tot strange. For the iva, are that just going to check that my steering is working tight and safe. Witch it is. Or will some jobsworth start telling me that the rack requirs a power unet to work properley.

Still don't realy get war the iva check for. I know ware thay check but are thay looking to condem your creation of it is not bye the book or are inteligent people checking saftey, build quolitey and wether it is actualy safe.

Iva advice is always so vague I just don't quite get it. Maby I culd go watch one.
Old 2nd December 2009, 04:00 PM

Right, I can't help on the IVA front, because I haven't done it yet.

Your reasons for lanking off the power steering are valid, and if you are asked by Mr IVA why you have done it, then you can explain why, and more importantly how.

By mistake, I bought a kit car book which is, in essence, someones build diary.
He did exactly the same thing to an MX5 rack in the States, and that seemed to work.

I think you should be OK, but it might be worthwhile seeking out one of the inspectors at the station where you will test, and ask them.