Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2012, 05:30 PM

Wow, been over a year since my last update.

I have been living away at Uni for the last year so haven't spent more than a couple of hours on it until about 2 weeks ago when I finished my first year doing Mechanical Engineering at Imperial.

I essentially am off Uni till October so will be road legal within a month or two if it goes too plan.

Whats left to do:

I need to put some front indicators on. I've been putting this off for some reason for some time as I didn't want to drill the nose cone so considered mounting them on the cycle wings but couldn't find any, and wasn't sure if it would pass the IVA.

Make a half-decent interior. I've acquired a full leather cow hide which will be more than enough to cover the exposed aluminium to make it look nicer. I also need to blunten the sharp edges for the radii tests.

Fit the fuel filler, I just don't have any hose to plumb it onto the tank.

Finally what I imagine will be the last major job will be to source a replacement 1.8 CVH engine. The current one is a dud as it simply smokes too much, I've replaced the valve stem oil seals, worn them in, tried all sorts, but I've had enough of it and am just looking for a decent running CVH quite urgently. I may even buy another sierra if its a decent runner.

Paint the exhaust, and check all bolts have nylocks, are washered and correctly torqued including putting some locknuts on the steering rack and doing the tracking.

It really shouldn't be more than a few days work I hope, so should be in track worthy conditions within two weeks if I can find an engine ASAP. Today was the first time It looked near enough to complete which really was a buzz to get it on the road as soon as I can.

Cheers!!

Old 12th June 2012, 06:10 PM

Have to say it looks great

Gonna book the IVA soon?

Saw this recently, if its any use to you:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8146
Old 12th June 2012, 11:32 PM

Looking great Geeman , can you imagine the faces on your mates at Uni if you pull up in your Roadster in October

Not wishing to be a kill joy, so hope you don,t mind me saying....I,m not sure the side repeaters in the wing mirrors will be ok for IVA, also your bonnet catches too, (tho can,t quite see them clearly ).

If I may say....this is an amazing build , Looking at the photos you would not think you were only 16 or 17 yrs old when you started this top work young man

good luck at IVA time.

cheers
andy
Old 13th June 2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
Looking great Geeman , can you imagine the faces on your mates at Uni if you pull up in your Roadster in October

Not wishing to be a kill joy, so hope you don,t mind me saying....I,m not sure the side repeaters in the wing mirrors will be ok for IVA, also your bonnet catches too, (tho can,t quite see them clearly ).

If I may say....this is an amazing build , Looking at the photos you would not think you were only 16 or 17 yrs old when you started this top work young man

good luck at IVA time.

cheers
andy

I wasn't sure about those repeaters either, so I have 2 that I could drill into the scuttle if needed, but thought I'd leave it until I really have to as I didn't want to drill unessacary holes in it. As for those bonnet catches, good ol' fashion electrical tape For the pics. . The proper ones are now on. I'm sure there'll be a few IVA related niggles to come up though.

Thanks very much for the encouragement! The IVA still feels distant, but when I think there aren't many jobs left to do I get quite excited about the proposition of a track day soonish.

Cheers!
Old 13th June 2012, 06:48 PM

Geeman you have a pm reply
Old 24th June 2012, 10:16 PM

Great to see another roadster being made by a student, I know exactly what you mean about finding the time between studies!

I've just finished my Masters in mechanical Engineering so if feel free to pick my brains if you need any help in the future.
And I'll prob'ly be wanting to pick your's regarding Roadster building

Good luck with the IVA when you get it booked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/