Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd September 2009, 06:52 PM

Default steering wheel support frame

hi all, i´m putting together the steering wheel support frame but not realy sure of the dimensios, on page 46 the measurements are not the same as in the drawings on page 172, they are longer in the drawings also the angels in the drawings dont make 71degr as on page 46. & how about CP15 how should they be placed?
Thanks
Samy
Old 3rd September 2009, 08:26 PM

I'm looking at the book now and it all seems to make sense. Obviously some dims on page 170 are the longest length from point to point, where as on page 46 its measuring a different edge of the tube. I built mine as per the book, all clamped together to ensure the angles and sizes, before I tacked it.

If your still having problems, I can take some measurements off the CAD drawing, or off my build, if it would help you. Bear in mind, that it will only show how I did it, and maybe not the perfect way
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:09 PM

i think dogwood posted a really good picture of how it goes
do a search on here
also if you intend to use Fabby,s sidepanels you need to shorten the top piece by 25mm
cheers les g
Old 4th September 2009, 12:26 PM

hmmmm, let me see so SW1 is cut to 40 & 23degr ok , how does that make the frame lean 71degr .i dont get it but i do see how the length is different when something is at an angle .... but the book shows the length & not the hight of the frame on page 46 but i get that so thats fine however im still not sure about the angels.
Cheers
Samy
Old 4th September 2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squbti View Post
hmmmm, let me see so SW1 is cut to 40 & 23degr ok , how does that make the frame lean 71degr .i dont get it but i do see how the length is different when something is at an angle .... but the book shows the length & not the hight of the frame on page 46 but i get that so thats fine however im still not sure about the angels.
Cheers
Samy
Samy,

have a look at Ash G,s thread titled "Build photo,s" as there are some good photos from lots of angles & maybe you can see how the support frame sits,
tho depending on your preference you might want to have the outside support on the nearside of the side rail for fitting side panel/scuttle placement.

hope that help.

andy
Old 4th September 2009, 05:04 PM

hi andy , thanks for the help. ash has got some really good photos it a great help , however the thing i´m still confused about is how cutting a pipe at 23degr makes the remaining angle 71 . i know how & where the frame is going to sitt but i just dong get the math here(was never my strong side)
cheers
Old 4th September 2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

to be honest its not that critical as long as the steering colum ends up centeral to the drivers seat and the frame is roughly where the book tells you to put it. the scuttle goes over the top of it so once the car is finished you will never see it.

when i did mine i found that the angle on the right hand leg (sitting in the drivers seat) of the frame was wrong. to cure it i placed the left side on the transmission tunnel where it was meant to go and let it natrually pick its spot on the right side. i then just filled the small gap where the angle was out on the drivers side with weld.
Old 4th September 2009, 07:29 PM

so i guis i´m just going to tack it in place & see how it looks & stop thinking too much or else i´ll get nothing done
thanks for the help
Samy
Old 7th September 2009, 07:18 PM

hi all, just tacked the steering wheel frame in place but not so sure if it´s in the right place , i did sitt in the driver seat & it feels preaty centered.anything i can do to make sure it´s good before i fully weld?
Cheers
Samy
Old 7th September 2009, 07:30 PM

steering%20supports.jpg
i dont know who it was that had posted this picture but are these measurements corect? this is what i used for my steering frame.
Cheers