Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th January 2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
That seems mad to me, it will cost you more to have a few bits of tube shipped in than it would to have someone near you in Oz cut it...surely easier all round and cheaper if supplied drawings?
What like in a hard back book from Haynes, mmm now theres an idea?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 29th January 2011, 10:52 AM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
What like in a hard back book from Haynes, mmm now theres an idea?
Novel idea........
Old 29th January 2011, 11:08 AM

Yes i could, but it would cost quite a bit more than getting a whole flat pack shipped. More the laziness of me. I've got the material, but it's the room and the time which are the limiting factor. I will have to do it at work where all the tools are, but have to do it after hours and then have to make sure that it's been moved out of the workshop by the morning and hidden so the bosses can't see it.
Old 29th January 2011, 11:20 AM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Haynes_MX5 View Post
Yes i could, but it would cost quite a bit more than getting a whole flat pack shipped. More the laziness of me. I've got the material, but it's the room and the time which are the limiting factor. I will have to do it at work where all the tools are, but have to do it after hours and then have to make sure that it's been moved out of the workshop by the morning and hidden so the bosses can't see it.
Cool I had to do that when I first started......but then they turned up at my workshop because donkey here must have left something laying around on my bench at work...thing is I chucked a sicky but actually went to my workshop
Old 29th January 2011, 12:45 PM

Aussie haynes,
Most of the chassis is easy to cut and would get you started.The harder parts are the compound angles on a few of the tubes so you could do these ones at work maybe?They tend to make more sense as you cut them when you need them and offer them up to the chassis.
If you are going to go the the flat pack route i would also buy the fibreglass at the same time and get it all shipped together.Just bear in mind you will have to pay import duty of 5% on the cost of the goods including shipping costs and also 10% Gst.
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1 View Post
Aussie haynes,
Most of the chassis is easy to cut and would get you started.The harder parts are the compound angles on a few of the tubes so you could do these ones at work maybe?They tend to make more sense as you cut them when you need them and offer them up to the chassis.
If you are going to go the the flat pack route i would also buy the fibreglass at the same time and get it all shipped together.Just bear in mind you will have to pay import duty of 5% on the cost of the goods including shipping costs and also 10% Gst.
Probably not going to go the flat pack route at the moment. Looks like work is going to give me a bit of extra time in the evenings to start of cutting and making the frame. I'll tough it out and make mistakes, and cut more than two lots of metal . . . . . . .
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Probably not going to go the flat pack route at the moment. Looks like work is going to give me a bit of extra time in the evenings to start of cutting and making the frame. I'll tough it out and make mistakes, and cut more than two lots of metal . . . . . . .
Sounds like you have a great employer

The cost of shipping a full chassis kit is quite high, if its just the kit alone.......but if you decide to order any parts from the Uk then I supply the "Compound Mitre Cut Packs", might save a bit of time for you ........

just a thought might save "cutting more than two lots of metal"

Best wishes for your build, keep us all posted with your progress, photos, photos we all like photos

cheers
andy
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:01 PM

I took the diy route myself having zero previous metal working experience and have only had to re-cut 3 bits so far. I can imagine getting the flatpack would save you alot of time but personally had I wanted to save a bit of cash where I could and managed to get all the steel tube plus a big sheet of 3mm plate for just under 200 quid delivered
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I'll tough it out and make mistakes, and cut more than two lots of metal . . . . . . .
Rest assured it will not come to that! An extra 6m length at most. Otherwise all of the wrongly cut tubes get used up a bit further down the line. The last major area fabricated out of 25 mm tubes is the rear suspension cage, and it is made up out of 15 or so tubes 20, 30, and 40 cm long. Eats up all the offcuts you have left. I used all the shorter ones for practicing my welding and letting friends have a go with the welder.
Old 19th March 2011, 06:54 PM

im saving my pocket money for this! is there any more left?