Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th June 2010, 05:02 PM

Default Crap welding :(

Well, after two disposable bottles I think I am going to give up welding my own chassis I just aint good enough to trust my welding to a car

I have costed out buying mig wire, gas, welding helmet (the one I borrowed is too dark) and other welding sundries....

I think I can buy a ready built basic chassis for not a stupid amount more!!!

If people who offer this service would like to pm me with their prices, that would be great, Am a little depressed at my welding skills, or lack there of

May just have one more practice tonight
Old 4th June 2010, 05:12 PM

It will be really easy to improve your welding, you just need a few tips to put you in the right direction.

Can you take any pictures of your weld for people to advice on where you are going wrong?

Also what welder do you have?

I would personally recommend getting rid of the disposable bottles (theres a reason not many people use them ) and get a proper bottle of gas, either co2 or argon mix.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 4th June 2010, 05:12 PM

I would say keep at it

Mig welding is very easy once you have the knack, if you post up what problems you are having and some pictures of your attemps im sure people on here will give you some sound advice

Get yourself another screen that isnt too dark for starters, it doesnt have to be an automated one just an ordinary flip down one will suffice if you are watching the pennies like most of us are!

Its probably something stupid holding you back such as wire speed and other settings. If you manage to master it you will have that feel good factor of saying i built that

As previously stated ask for help and post some pics, dont be embarrassed to ask, there was a point when none of us could weld
Old 4th June 2010, 05:16 PM

Hmm, you sound a bit like me 9 months ago. I had never welded anything at that point and was trying to use an arc welder I bought from a car boot for £20. Best thing I ever invested in was an auto darkening helmet, it helped me see where to start my weld, made it much easier to strike it and see / control the weld pool. Next thing make sure your machine is set up properly. I bought a load of steel off ebay to practice on. I also got some steel washers and practiced filling in the hole with weld, it teaches you to control the current, get it wrong and you dont weld it or you burn through it. I went through a huge box of old angle iron before I went anywhere near the chassis. I used an arc welder, it's a 200 amp inverter, most people use mig. Those people are considered normal. I don't talk to them Arc does give very good penetration, the only setting you have to worry about is current, no messing about with wire feed and gas. It does produce slag, but do it right and the slag virtually falls off.
I am not trying to convert you to arc, I am trying to get you to look at why it is going wrong and put it right. Throughout the building process you will find loads of jobs that seem hard or impossible to start with. Don't give up. Stick two fingers up to the problem, find a different way or ask for help.
I'm starting to sound like I am lecturing now so I will go away and flush my head down the toilet.
Get yerself an auto helmet, some steel, some patience and take your time.
Enjoy your build.
Enoch
Old 4th June 2010, 05:33 PM

The same from me here .... Don't give up, have another go & try to get some pictures up so as we can give you some helpfull pointers

Alternately, decide what you are going to practice on & give us a full run down of the details like, welder, maximum power, thickness of wire & type of shielding gas, we can then give you some better pointers

If by any chance you are coming down to West Cornwall for a summer holiday, swing by my place, It would be a pleasure to give you some 1 -1 welding tuiton

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 4th June 2010, 06:37 PM

Keep at it mate. Get yourself down the pub and beg a Co2 bottle. Failing that go to the local beer wholesaler (tons in the yellow pages) I paid £15 for my bottle, did tons of welding and emptied 3 kegs of beer as well. I went for gas and came away with the bottle and a keg of Fosters, then went back for another.. and another...

Anyway, good machine, good setup, decent gas bottle and auto helmet (makes it much easier) will get you there in the end. Go to the local college and see if there's course you can go on.

Its all a big learning thing and makes it all very satisfying when you finish the car. Peeps at shows are mighty impressed when you tell them you made it all!

Have a look on the mig welding forum. Tons of stuff on there for you.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

LG,
Steve

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 4th June 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
If by any chance you are coming down to West Cornwall for a summer holiday, swing by my place, It would be a pleasure to give you some 1 -1 welding tuiton
When you pop up to see my chassis you could check my welsds are up to scratch.

To help with the question here - I found an auto tinting helmet was paramount to my confidence as you can adjust the tint so that you can see and have two hands free to guide the torch.

Matt

My build diary. http://www.mx5-locost.co.uk
Old 4th June 2010, 07:47 PM

Very few people can pick up a MIG torch and produce decent welds without some practice. MIG welding is easy once you know how but knowing how is the big stumbling block. Research on 't'internet to get basic procedure then practice, practice and practice some more. if you know anyone who can weld ask them for a couple of hours of their time to help you get started. I appreciate your point that you could buy a ready built chassis for not a lot more than the costs of DIY but at the end of the build you can say "I built that from scratch and learned a load of new skills in the process", but only if you do as much as you can yourself. This is where building a Haynes roadster differs from other "kit" car builds.

D.
Old 4th June 2010, 07:57 PM

I did a welding course at night school, one evening a week. I can’t remember how long it took as it was some 8 years ago now. I got an NVQ level 2 out of it.

For two hours a week just welding, welding, welding, then destructive testing and acid etch testing I think.

All good stuff learnt loads.

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
When you pop up to see my chassis you could check my welsds are up to scratch.

To help with the question here - I found an auto tinting helmet was paramount to my confidence as you can adjust the tint so that you can see and have two hands free to guide the torch.

Matt
Hi Matt

Just as soon as I am a little bit more steady on my feet, i'll get over to see your build

It would be great to see another local build in mid progress

I'll be in touch real soon

www.roadster-builders.co.uk