Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th May 2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will get the panels bent as close as I can, clean everything thoroughly and then clamp it all up for a couple of days to make sure it is all dry. Thanks Ronnie for the offer of coming round and sitting on it but given Andy's comments about how well it sticks to skin I am not sure this is a good idea. I was thinking of some sort of bonnet ornament but perhaps something slightly more subtle than a large bloke would be more appropriate:-) Besides I can't afford to feed you and I'm sure the IVA inspector would have sarcastic comment to make about vision being obscured. Do you have any sharp projections? On second thoughts, don't answer that
Enoch.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Do you have any sharp projections? On second thoughts, don't answer that

Enoch.
I am sure it will go well once you get into the swing of it, alloy is quite easy to form once you get the knack

Yes I do have a projection .... I think it is IVA friendly though .... Not protruding more than 5mm from the surface & in any event, it has a nice radius

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 12th May 2010, 08:09 AM

You're a bad man Ronnie That's why I like you.
I have found a Sikaflex equivalent, looking at the respective datasheets it has the same hardness when dry and the same strength, it's available in white, grey and black and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. It's called Polyflex. Like Sikaflex there are different grades available, they do LM and HM which are equivalents to 221 and 251 they are both high modulus moisture drying polyurethane preperations. If you search for it on the net you can find the datasheets and stockists that do it for about 3 quid for 300ml. One seller on ebay does two tubes for £4.50.
Hope that's of use to somebody.
Enoch.
Old 12th May 2010, 04:35 PM

Exactly what I've used Enoch - it's good stuff, and as you have seen, cheap!

Cheers

Adrian
Old 13th May 2010, 07:58 PM

I have just this afternoon put my scuttle together, after about 2 hours I would describe the parts as "stuck". Bleedin ell that stuff is strong! It seems to have bonded very well to the alli, I did not use any special cleaner, just gave it a good clean with some solvent and a quick rub down to roughen the surface a bit. I found it quite difficult to make the scuttle as I had to call on skills I have not used for a very long time and that I was never brilliant at in the first place. I am now quite pleased with the end result, I will update my web site soon with photos. Thanks again to all that offered advice. And, if you are tight like me the Polyflex seems to be a great low priced alternative to Sikaflex.
Enoch.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:27 PM

Well done that man

Look forward to your blog update

That PU ahesive is awesome, I use a product called Sticks like S**t, another Sikaflex type adhesive.

It's been holding the 1/4 glass in my Mazda for the last 8 years .... Couldn't bring myself to buy a whole tube of windscreen bonding just for 1/8th of it

I'll keep my eye out for some Polyflex as it seems to be even cheaper than my substitute

www.roadster-builders.co.uk