Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2010, 06:11 PM

Default How strong is Sikaflex?

Just trying to build my scuttle - I opted for a fabricated one. Being an electronics engineer sheet metal is not my strongest subject so please bear with me. I have made the framework - difficult but got there in the end. I am now attempting to skin it with aluminium, the frame work is all steel. I don't want rows of rivets showing so am thinking of sticking the alli to the steel with Sikaflex. I am struggling to get the alli to form around the frame though. My question is - would the sikaflex be so strong that I can bond the alli to the steel and then bend the alli round the steel without the sikaflex giving way? I am figuring that if I can stick it along the top then leave it to dry it should be much easier to form the alli - if I was using steel I could kind of stitch weld it as I go but I have already bought the alli.
Any advise would be very welcome at this stage - it's driving me quite mental.
Thanks in advance,
Dave.
Old 10th May 2010, 06:15 PM

Hi Dave,

Sikaflex is very strong stuff indeed, but it has a curing time ( dependant on temp of the area), so it may not "hold" the ali in place during the curing period, maybe set it in place but use those cheap straps that you can get from motor factors etc to hold it all together whilst the sikaflex goes off, after it has then i,d think it,ll be a strong enough bond.

cheers
andy

ps.... don,t get the stuff on your hands ......takes ages to get off
Old 10th May 2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks Andy, I didn't want to waste time by putting it on and then finding it does not hold. I like the idea of the straps to hold it - I would not have thought of that. Thanks again - you are a legend
Old 10th May 2010, 06:34 PM

Hi Enoch

Yes sikaflex is very, very strong once set

If you have ever tried to remove a bonded windscreen, you'll know what I mean
Winscreen bonding is a type of PU adhesive with added UV protection but basically the same as Sikaflex.

If you are going to paint the scuttle !! Perhaps you could give some thought into using some countersink pop rivets to hold the alloy into place whilst the adhesive sets .... slightly over countersink them, skim of filler over the tops & the job will be a good'un

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 10th May 2010, 07:28 PM

Sikaflex tis the Devil's work! It really will stick anything to anything, just make sure you don'e ever want to remove it! As Andy says, strap it down while cures, and it should be fine. I would try to give the ali some form of shape first though, rather than just bending it around the scuttle frame, bonding it and strapping it, as the skin will then always be trying to spring itself away from the frame.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 10th May 2010, 08:16 PM

2 beads of it holding fibreglass wings to metal wing stays at *20mph (GPS speed) - I would say that is pretty strong!
Old 10th May 2010, 08:28 PM

There is a primer for Sikaflex,collar a friendly windscreen fitter and scrounge some and you will have to cut it off to get it apart.
Windscreens are structural and that was the original use for it,also known as "tube of clips" if you get my drift.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks to all, it looks like that is the stuff to go for. On reflection I think I should have done the job with steel so I could have welded it but I will go with the sikaflex and ratchet straps, I will fold the metal under the frame so I can pout in some hidden rivets. Thanks again guys, I love you all
Enoch.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Thanks to all, it looks like that is the stuff to go for. On reflection I think I should have done the job with steel so I could have welded it but I will go with the sikaflex and ratchet straps, I will fold the metal under the frame so I can pout in some hidden rivets. Thanks again guys, I love you all
Enoch.
You are most welcome mate .... If all else fails .... Give me a shout & i'll come up to sit my lardy ass on it untill the adhesive sets

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 10th May 2010, 11:17 PM

There are several versions of Sikaflex designed for different types of job. Some are just sealants (bloody strong sealants) and others are adhesive sealants (very bloody strong adhesive sealants). I use Sikaflex on a regular basis, either 221 or 521 dependent on the job in hand but to be honest either will hold anything to anything if the prep is done proper like . If you're sticking alli then it needs to be ultra clean so stainless steel wire brush the areas to be bonded first then chemically clean with a solvent, then apply the Sikaflex and finally fit the panel. It will be a huge help if you can preform the panel before applying the Sikaflex as it will reduce the need for fixtures to hold it in place while the adhesive cures (can be up to 48 hours dependent on type and temperature/humidity). PU adhesives like Sikaflex are moisture sensitive so damping the glue with a water spray can speed up curing times.

Google Sikaflex to find the best one for your needs.

D.