Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2010, 10:05 AM

Cool Looking good Davey

That manifold is coming along nicely

You have done well for such an intricate part .... A lot of folk under estimate the degree of difficulty on a project such as this, what with ever changing angles & material thicknesses .... not to mention dissimilar alloy types

That is going to look the dogs danglys one you have lightly fettled & polished it all up. ,
I am sure once you have finished the manifold it will look every bit the part as a several hundred quid, off the shelf part ( Assuming you could get one in the first place )

I am hoping to have a crack at my inlet manifold in the next week or so.

Really must get Junior to do some update work to my site .... Not been touched for ages

Well done mate

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 13th September 2010, 07:08 AM

Cheers Ronnie, I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I seem to recall someone asked me if I could make him one a few pages back, trouble is the time its taking, about 40 hours spent on it so far . Of course a second one should be faster and they can do the cleaning up and polishing themselves which would save a load of time so it might still be possible. One for a four cylinder motor would be lots easier though.

D.
Old 20th October 2010, 05:41 PM

Well I've hardly had a chance to touch the Dragon since I did the inlet manifold over a month ago and its been bugging me so as we were quiet this afternoon I decided to have a play around with my pedals. I'm going for a top mounted pedal setup, for one thing I think it will be more comfortable with my size 12s and it also puts the brake master cylinder higher up so it should be easier to bleed, well that's the theory anyway.

I mocked the pedal box and pedals up first in 5mm plywood to see how it would all sit and how long the pedals need to be to give a comfortable position then I marked up the main pedal arms for brake and clutch onto some 5mm steel plate before gas cutting them out and dressing them up. Next I cut the pedal plates which are now waiting for dressing. I may get time tomorrow to cut the throttle pedal and finish dressing all the bits up ready for welding. The brake pedal arm may need a slight crank to allow it to clear the steering column.

Sorry no photos yet, maybe when its all sorted if it works out ok I'll take some .

D.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:48 PM

Good to hear that you have found a few moments for your build Davy

Can't be easy finding time with such a busy work schedule

Hopefully you'll find some more time as the winter draws on

Old 21st October 2010, 06:40 AM

Hi Ronnie, yeah its good to do a bit now and then. The bonus of having the Dragon at work is I can drop onto it at a moments notice . As if I didn't have enough to do we've just decided to acquire an exhibition trailer for next years shows. If we can't find a decent trailer at the right price then we're looking at possibly getting a luton van and transferring the box to a trailer chassis, then its all got to be kitted out so either way there's going to be plenty to go at . Could make a useful "tea hut" for Stoneleigh next year though .

D.
Old 21st October 2010, 08:16 PM

Had another quiet day with just one small paying job in so I thought i could get on with my pedal box but............................

My mate on the other side of our trading estate is allowing his father to build a Haynes in his unit, Mick (the father) isn't on 'tinterweb yet so isn't a member on here so I downloaded and printed out the front frame info for him the other day. I popped over this morning to see how he was getting on and it wasn't too good. The front frame was 6mm out of square which in turn put the diagonals on the top rails (FF4 to the transverse rails at rear of engine bay) out by 10mm. So when he came in this afternoon I went over to help him out and ended up remaking his front frame from scratch. Quite pleased with myself as its the first one I've done by the book (and ammendments/tutorial) and it turned out fine, to within 1mm on the diagonals which I reckon should be OK.

To whoever wrote the tutorial all I can say is very well done, it makes a simple job of it. I was all done in just an hour and a half from start to fully welded . Mick can now crack on with his build and hopefully get it straight and true.

I did manage to get a bit more done on my pedals, I've cut the blanks for all three pedal arms and hand filed them to tidy up the gas cutting marks, I've bored the 19mm hole for the bush tube fitments and I've cut and filed the pedal plates for all three. Hopefully tomorrow I can weld the tubes and plates onto the arms ready for a trial fit.

D.
Old 21st October 2010, 08:41 PM

Sound's like you have had an eventfull day Davy

Fancy finding another Roaster builder within spitting distance .... Sure is a small world

Heck, even my eldest brother lives in Shropshire .... Don't get up to visit as often as I should

Old 21st October 2010, 09:06 PM

To be honest Ronnie Mick is building one because of me . He saw my build anddecided he wanted to build a car so I pushed him gently but firmly towards the Haynes roadster. My business neighbour two doors the other way is talking about building one too but he still needs a few more gentle shoves in the right direction .

D.
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:14 PM

Davey, that manifold is going to be perfectly ok, I can only mig myself so I think the work you've done is really good. I dont recall if anybody has asked this before, I apologise if they have but was your motor registered? Guessing it would have been, is there any chassis numbers etc that could help you get a copy of the V5

Anyway nice work

Rich

http://www.kilmartin.it/cgi-bin/gallery
Old 24th October 2010, 12:10 PM

A quote for ally sheet Ronnie,2 mm half hard from Aalco 8x4 £75 quid non polished.

All the 2mm 5 bar chequer plate to make a tank 24x9x12 "£15" !!! from a good friend.

Sheet of 1.6 polished from the mate £47 inc vat.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.