Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd February 2012, 04:41 PM

Default Megasquirt help required - trying to go for first start with Zetec

Hi there, looking for some advice / help starting my zetec for the first time. It's a 2l Silvertop with 40mm Jenveys, and an MS2 V3. Wired it all up, set the req fuel, set up the TPS, calibrated the sensors and checked the wiring. Got a base map from Phil at extra efi for a zetec with throttle bodies. all good so far, just turn the key and go! Err, no actually, turn the key and cough cough, wants to catch by the sound of it, but no joy. Turned prime pulsing off to make sure I don't flood the engine, and tried several times, but no joy. If it helps, it seemed to want to start more when I used a little bit of throttle.

Any help or advice as to where to start fault finding would be great.

Cheers

Adrian

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff406/adrianreeve/
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Use some "Start Ya Ba...." to see if it runs, then you can rule out ignition timing faults. A 5second squirt in behind each butterfly should do it and open the throttle a fraction to give some air.

If it runs, then it may actualy continue to run on fuel once started.

If not repeat the above. If it runs and stops again then there must be a fueling issue. If your getting the occasional cough then there's obviously a small amount or too much fuel. Check to see if the plugs are wet.

If they are, put them in the oven for an hour on 100c to get them dry.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianreeve View Post
Hi there, looking for some advice / help starting my zetec for the first time. It's a 2l Silvertop with 40mm Jenveys, and an MS2 V3. Wired it all up, set the req fuel, set up the TPS, calibrated the sensors and checked the wiring. Got a base map from Phil at extra efi for a zetec with throttle bodies. all good so far, just turn the key and go! Err, no actually, turn the key and cough cough, wants to catch by the sound of it, but no joy. Turned prime pulsing off to make sure I don't flood the engine, and tried several times, but no joy. If it helps, it seemed to want to start more when I used a little bit of throttle.

Cheers

Adrian
what you using? edis or direct vr and coil drive
i take it you have set/checked the timing (fixed) and have all the settings right and the firing order right with the ht leads in the right holes.
i know the new firmwares has a itb setting that uses both tps and map thats what you want to end up using once you get it fired up
Old 4th February 2012, 02:24 AM

Have you rechecked to be absolutely sure that your ignition is firing on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke? It is really easy to get timing 180 degrees out.

Quote:

Cheers

Adrian
Old 4th February 2012, 05:21 PM

Tanks for the replies gents. Just checked the timing with my strobe, and it seems to be firing at around 10 deg btdc, so think its ok. Been a while since I used my strobe, but if the timing was 180 degrees out, the timing mark would appear directly opposite where it should be, is that right. If so, fairly happy that the timing is near enough to start. Its all standard ford stuff, so I don't think it's easy to get the timing wrong if the base Map info is correct, and the map was suppllied by Phil at extra efi, so should be ok.

Going to try playing with fuelling now.

Cheers

Adrian

Old 4th February 2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Tanks for the replies gents. Just checked the timing with my strobe, and it seems to be firing at around 10 deg btdc, so think its ok. Been a while since I used my strobe, but if the timing was 180 degrees out, the timing mark would appear directly opposite where it should be, is that right. If so, fairly happy that the timing is near enough to start. Its all standard ford stuff, so I don't think it's easy to get the timing wrong if the base Map info is correct, and the map was suppllied by Phil at extra efi, so should be ok.

Going to try playing with fuelling now.

Cheers

Adrian
Well, no, there is ignition / cam timing and crankshaft timing. If the distributor is 180 degrees out, the crank is 360 degrees out. The cam and distributor turn 1/2 the rpm of the crank. That is why it is so easy to be out. Quick test. move your plug wires on the cap 180 degrees and see if it fires.
Old 4th February 2012, 06:23 PM

No distributor, just a coil pack. Can I just move the leads around on the coil pack?

Old 4th February 2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
No distributor, just a coil pack. Can I just move the leads around on the coil pack?
I think you could swap plug wires on 1 and 4 , and 2 and 3.
Old 6th February 2012, 06:45 PM

well as your on wasted spark both 1+4 will be nr tdc and 2+3 180deg from 1+4.
should be no problem there.
you say all std ford stuff so i take it you meen you have edis then? (a kind of ign amp to run coil pack) if you are running direct (no edis) you need to check you hold sync all the time your engine is turning/running in the software.
fixing the ign is a good idea on first start as you can ajust the timing as you get it to fire bit like tweeking a dizzy.
i take it you have it all conected up to a laptop with live coms as your trying to start it?
ms systems will cut fuel on large throttle openings under cranking so clearing a flood should be easy just fully open the throttle past a set point and it cuts the fuel (can be ajusted) look at injector duty droping to zero
a fixed timing of 10btdc and cranking with manual throttleing should get it firing
if you get major over fueling you could have the fuel lines plumbed up backwards (return from the reg, feed to the rail) so you have max pump pressure (you want about 3bar)
hope that helps
Old 6th February 2012, 09:29 PM

Cheers Baz. No edis, direct coil driven. Constants are set correctly, fuel system correct. Coughing and spluttering so far, will try and catch with a little. It of throttle, so going to cut down on the cranking enrichment a bit to see if that helps get the bigger started! Worst comes to worst, I'll up the req fuel, as a few have suggested that the bloody cold weather may not be helping at the moment.

Cheers

Adrian