Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th February 2010, 09:41 PM

Default cosworth 24v

after many years of ideas i think/hope to be getting my engine this weekend a cosworth 24v v6 i will convert it to a manual gearbox as the type 9 of a sierra xr4i fits on and with the flywheel and clutch.

i will prob spend some money on it and put throttle bodes on in and some standalone management. will be worth the money for the sound and the looks.

hope all your builds are going well and hi to all the new people on the forum since i was last hear.

Regards

Bobby
Old 25th February 2010, 06:15 AM

Hi Bobby, I'm also using the Cossie V6, cheap as chips for plenty of grunt. I'm going to use Honda CBR600 throttle bodies, already got two sets split down into pairs so just need to fabricate the manifold, alternatively (if you have lots of money) Jenvey do a setup for the Cosworth V6. I want to go with an Emerald ECU but again they're bleedin' expensive. There are a couple of other builders using the V6 too.

D.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:56 AM

I havent started the build yet but i plan to use the v6, iv just googled jenvey, now i know what fuel system i want on the car :-)

Mark
Old 25th February 2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Hi Bobby, I'm also using the Cossie V6, cheap as chips for plenty of grunt. I'm going to use Honda CBR600 throttle bodies, already got two sets split down into pairs so just need to fabricate the manifold, alternatively (if you have lots of money) Jenvey do a setup for the Cosworth V6. I want to go with an Emerald ECU but again they're bleedin' expensive. There are a couple of other builders using the V6 too.

D.

well if you get it all working well then let me know and i may be looking at how to get the TB's on there. i was looking a emeraled dave walker the owner seems to know his stuff from what i have read.

is ur v6 out of the scorpio or grander (or how ever you spell it). when you planing to get Your car on the road?

regards

bobby
Old 25th February 2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

www.fordpower.org.uk

If you need information on the 24V

I have one in my Sapphire, had a Scorpio 24V for a while too.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 25th February 2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh View Post
well if you get it all working well then let me know and i may be looking at how to get the TB's on there. i was looking a emeraled dave walker the owner seems to know his stuff from what i have read.

is ur v6 out of the scorpio or grander (or how ever you spell it). when you planing to get Your car on the road?

regards

bobby
My V6 is from a 1990 Granada Scorpio Cosworth, the BOA engine. Would love to have it on the road this summer but I fear that may be a bit too ambitious, more for my wallet than my skills. You can read a bit about my build on my website, link below.

The Jenvey ITBs and manifold look real sweet but I'm too scared to look at the price . annoyingly they're only based about 7 miles from me which makes them very tempting for an expensive visit. Managed to get two sets of CBR600 throttle bodies off the Bay of E for a total of £64 and the second set were only 8 miles away. They split easily into pairs but it'll mean the inlet tracts of the manifold have to skew a bit to allow the ITBs to line up in pairs. I haven't drawn anything up yet but I have a picture in my mind of how they should look.

D.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:54 AM

have you convert it to a manual gearbox?

if you are i have been told i need a bearing for something what is this bearing for and where does it go?
Old 26th February 2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

You need a spigot bearing, it goes into the end of the crank where the gearbox input shaft slides through the clutch. Without it the input shaft will wobble and destroy the gearbox in no time at all.

Available from ford, ask for a 2.9 XR4x4 Crank spigot bearing. sould be about £10, can get em on ebay but not a lot cheaper.

Which box do you intend to use?

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 26th February 2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

I am running a V6 Type 9 on my 12V, some say they are not up to the task on a 24V but with the light weight of a Haynes it should be ok.

My Sapphy has 4x4,

You can build a Hybrid MT75 using a Scorpio 2.5 Diesel RWD box and a 2.9 XR4x4 Box. But it's not a simple belhousing swap as the belhousing is part of the front casssing.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 26th February 2010, 10:16 AM

i was goint go witht he type 9 are it so easy to swap over and all the parts can come off the xr4i. i also thought that about the waight. thanks for the help.

how heavy is the engien?