Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th May 2010, 09:11 PM

Done a bit of research over the last few days and a bike engine would be way above my budget.

I've also found Q-plate cars only require a visual smoke test for MOTs, which means a carbed zetec will be fine for MOTs - but i'm guessing i still need to get it through the IVA emmissions.

Is there a cat that is strong enough to get carbs through an IVA? that i can remove once it's passed??
Old 14th May 2010, 09:32 PM

If you get a pre 94 engine then you don't need a cat, and you are held to a much lower emissions standard (i've got myself a pre 94 1.8 silvertop zetec). If you are looking to buy a brand new zetec, then you can buy a pre 94 engine such as a CVH, get the car to pass the IVA with that engine and then swap it out for a brand new zetec.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 14th May 2010, 09:41 PM

I dont have the money for a brand new engine :P And not really enough to buy 2 engines either lol.

If needs be i'd put the zetec through iva on injection with a cat, but if possible, i'd prefer to get it to pass on carbs.
Old 14th May 2010, 09:46 PM

Just buy yourself a pre 94 zetec engine, I got mine for £40, then buy some bike carbs and a megajolt system. The 1.8 zetec will run quite happily on ZX9R carbs and megajolt without proper tuning on a rolling road and will sail through the IVA.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 14th May 2010, 09:48 PM

That would be the best soloution, if i could find a pre 94 zetec! Does the IVA man require proof of age/car
Old 14th May 2010, 10:35 PM

The only proof he requires is the engine number as he then uses that to look up the manufacture date of the engine to decide if it is a pre 94 engine.

EDIT: Looks like im slightly wrong with this. You need the engine number and some proof of the engines age. Depending on the testing station it could be just a print out of the burton power website which tells you what year the engine was made from the engine number, or you might need a letter from ford themselves telling you when your engine was made.

Last edited by Tatey : 14th May 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
Mark if you are reading this i'm ready to borrow your gps to calibrate the speedo.......

Cheers.....AndyH
Have you got your speedo sorted yet Andy. Was thinking of a trip to Saturn in the morning just for a nosey round and get some questions answered. I'll have the tom tom in the car if it's any use to ya.
Alan
Old 15th May 2010, 07:55 AM

Yes you are correct Tatey it is up to the individual to prove engine block age + if it is Aug92 to Jul95 you must also prove that it came from a car not fitted with cat to get easier emmissions.

Hello CC, all speedo and new dashboard is working great. Will be at the unit all day, and its going to be a nice one.

Cheers...AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 15th May 2010, 09:07 AM

Spud do you know what the IVA people will accept as a suitable evidence to prove what car the engine came from?

Old 15th May 2010, 09:16 AM

Eddie99 on Locost builders has 2.0L Zetec in a seven and has a very neat/small cat in the pipe after the joint to the manifold. These cats are often seen at the kit car shows and are quite cheap.
You will be advised to fit the engine at this stage complete with standard injection system, fit a lambda sensor and check the emmissions. Getting round the Ford ECU security is very difficult and I find the Megasquirt a bit beyond me at this time, you may need to budget for an ECU and setup.