Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st May 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
The more you buy the cheaper it will be so why not get a few of you and do a "group buy" on the tube?....
i,m happy to ask my supplier for a good group deal & see if they,ll do multiple deliveries, or if you are local to me have it delivered to me & you collect = 1 delivery charge of £15. also they will cut it into 3mtr lengths if you wish.

andy
Old 21st May 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
So just to make sure, it will be 1.6mm, not 1.5?
its known as 16gauge when i queried the dimensions with my supplier, its fine.
andy
Old 21st May 2009, 11:03 PM

Im up for a group buy if it would be feasible as i wont have the money for a few months so we could hopefully get a few people interested.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

just to clear this up RHS = Rectangular Hollow Section. you need square box section also called SHS = Square Hollow Section.

ERW = Electronically Resistance Welded. this is one of the ways RHS and SHS are made.

What you want to order is SHS ERW bright mild steel 16gauge 25x25mm. which in simple terms is a shiney square metal tube with a weld all the way down one side of it.

Simples
Old 21st May 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
So just to make sure, it will be 1.6mm, not 1.5?
Yes 1.6 ERW square tube is the material to ask your stockist for

I believe that this tube has been made in both metric & imperial sizes, hence the 16 gauge 1" X 1" & 3/4" X 3/4"

My steel buyers guide lists only metric sizes for ERW.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 21st May 2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Handy little snippet if you fancy a read.

Cold formed, electric resistance welded tubing can be produced in round, square or rectangle shapes. ERW tube is produced by processing a flat rolled steel into strips which are cold-formed, welded and seam annealed or normalized (depending on the manufacturer). You can usually identify ERW tube by the blue strip down one side of the tube (which is the welded area). The ERW process can guarantee the weld to be as strong or stronger than the rest of the tube body. The origin from a flat strip results in a more concentric product than Cold Drawn Seamless (CDS). ERW can also be known as CREW (Cold Rolled Electric Welded).
Typical Applications:
Structural columns, beams, supports, heavy equipment frames with 58,000 PSI tensile.

Cold Drawn Welded (CDW)
Produced from a steel strip by cold forming, electric resistance welding (ERW) and cold drawing to finished dimensions, CDW is the most versatile and widely sold mechanical tubing grade. A variety of thermal treatments can be applied to alter the mechanical properties and machinability. CDW is used for a tremendous variety of machine parts where close tolerances and higher mechanical properties are needed.
Typical Applications:
Automotive components, shock absorbers, hydraulic cylinders, sleeves, bushings, axles and shafting.

Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM)
DOM is formed from strip and Electric Resistance Welded (ERW) then cold drawn through a die and over a mandrel resulting in improved inner surfaces and dimensional quality. This process, called cold drawing, may be repeated more than once to reach the planned OD, ID, or wall dimension. Multiple draws can also be used to increase the strength or improve the surface finish of the tubes. During the drawing operation, the tubes may be process annealed to increase the ductility of the material. Lower cost alternative to CDS with equal or superior physical properties.
Typical Applications:
Machined parts, rollers, shafts, sleeves, steering columns, axle tubes, drive shafts, bushings and is most readily adaptable in cylinder applications with a 80,000 PSI tensile.

Cold Drawn Seamless (CDS)
General purpose seamless tubing, which is a solid bar of carbon steel drawn over a mandrel to form the tube section. CDS allows selection of chemistry and rough tube size. Cold drawing produces higher physical properties without heat treating. Offers widest range of sizes and chemistries in mechanical tubing. Better tolerances and reduced machining allowances over Hot Finished Seamless (HFS).
Typical Applications:
Machined parts, bushings, spacers, bearings, rollers, shafts, sleeves and cylinders with a 75,000 PSI tensile.

Cold Rolled Electric Welded (CREW)
Cold rolled steels are steels that are shaped by high pressure rollers at normal temperature in the steel mill. Cold rolling work hardens the material substantially. The steel is then welded by the electric weld process. A cold rolled steel can be either a mild steel or a high carbon steel. Can also be termed as ERW (Electric Resistance Welded). See » ERW

Hot Rolled Electric Welded (HREW)
Hot rolled steel is steel that is rolled to size in the mill while red hot. Hot rolling steel does not work harden it as much as cold rolling. For this reason, hot rolled steel is more easily machined than cold rolled.

What's the difference between Tube and Pipe?
The general term for pipe was that it was primarily used for carrying gas or liquid. It was not intended for structural use because the dimensions used in describing pipe was not dimensionally accurate. Measurement was referred to its inside diameter and wall thickness. The inside diameter was a true dimension, but over the years had become "nominal" (in name only) so that when pipe size was referred to, it was an approximate inside diameter measurement with the thickness described by the term "schedule".
Old 21st May 2009, 11:12 PM
fabbyglass

shaved chicken legs and hairy mole ears
Old 21st May 2009, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
shaved chicken legs and hairy mole ears

and breathe
Old 21st May 2009, 11:16 PM
fabbyglass

Cats ears make nice comfy pads where bits on the chassis might rub you..
Old 21st May 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
and breathe
Ash, did you type that long thread or pasted it????
how,s the build?
andy