Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2009, 07:23 PM

Default worst build day ever!!!

I nearly lost it today & for the first time during this build i was thinking of just throwing in the towel . I finaly had a day off to work on my roadster today & was making the wishbones & wishbone jigs ,I started with the front lower ones & made the jig exactly as in the book & am using the same dimensions of pipes ..... but when i measure the wishbones length i get 439 intead of 442 the length of the pipes are 390 not 395 like in the book & so i waisted an hour or so kicking & shouting at the walls & then decided the hell with it i can live with it AND THEN i got started on the rear lower wishbones & to make the story short I made the jig to the drawing on page 65 & right away saw that there was a problem it was 10mm too short AND THEN I lost it again but after reading the text on that page I saw that the drawing & the text had different measurments (the drawing says 465mm& the text says 475mm)& its the same story on page 67 . Anyway it is done now & I hope that at least the lengths of the wishbones are correct. My book is the reprinted july 2008 copy.
Just thought it would be fun to share my day with you all & give the heads up to anyone making or going to make there wishbones.
Cheers
Samy
Old 21st November 2009, 07:41 PM

You don't have the right copy of the book then that says on page one 'warning following this book may cause major head aches, heart aches,cut fingers,hissy fits and relationship problems due to over spending and hermit like periods spent in the build area!

All part of building a roadster,if it was easy every body would build one rather than just assemble their 'kit cars'. Don't forget what you are doing is not an easy DIY project!!! Deep breath, count to 10, have a cup of tea and start again tomorrow. I do this daily!!!

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 21st November 2009, 08:00 PM

It´s all good now,I agree with what you say about just taking a moment . I have been working as a welder for the last 6 years & am used to making much more complecated things , so the chassis so far has been a walk in the park but this time the drawings just got the best of me but its not going to stop me , however it might make me start smoking again
cheers
samy
Old 21st November 2009, 08:38 PM

Squbti, don't forget Chris has posted a 10mm amendment to the rear wishbone length to use the original drive shafts (without cutting them). I used the it and my drive shafts fitted spot on. Remember - measure once cut twice , or something like that, good luck.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:39 PM

Just a small point, which version of the book do you have?
The rear wishbone length was wrong in the first edition
If you have made them to the early book then you will have to shorten the driveshafts by 10mm each side assuming you are using a sierra donor?
I dont have the book in front of me so i cant tell you the sizes
Ray
Old 21st November 2009, 09:06 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replys. Yes I know about the 10mm thing & all the other changes ...etc. Thats exactly my point my book is the reprinted july 2008 copy , so it should be correct but it´s not & that just cought me offgaurd.So maybe it´s read twice cut onece
cheers
samy
Old 27th November 2009, 06:09 PM

is there any problems with the front wishbone drawings in the book as my ones seem to have a positive camber even with the adjusters wound rite in??