Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2014, 09:23 PM

Default MX5 based build thread

I'll start by introducing myself, having been using the forum for a few years now I've only recently registered, my names Chris, 28 and residing in Warwickshire.

The forum has been a wealth of knowledge whilst planning my build, using your posts and threads to evolve my build in my head before finally getting stuck in.

I figured now is as good a time as any to begin my roadster build, having recently finished my Mini project I found my self with an empty workshop and a yearning for a challenge to evolve my engineering and mechanical skills some more.

I purchased a chassis kit via ebay around 6 weeks ago, needing to clear the workshop out and sort my build table, it's taken until today to actually unpack it and get started.

I plan on building an mx5 based chassis, utilising the Mazda suspension and steering but going for the ford duratec engine, coupled to the mk3 mx5 gearbox.

Well that's the current plan, I'm sure as things unfold it will change some what.

So I started my build table this morning, I managed to knock it up in about an hour, using wood I had in stock and 25mm mdf board as the surface, it's worried out well and I've been able to free more space by utilising the area beneath the table.

Once this was done the kit was unpacked, I seem to be a few bits missing, mainly the front frame tubes, I've sent an email for clarification and to see if I can get it sorted. Luckily I purchased a part kit some years ago from a chap on ebay and I have a front frame and some spare tubing to get on with.

Build table up and the kit unpacked

I sorted all the tubes into sections (base, top, uprights etc) and began to mark out the general layout and get the base rail lined up and tacked together.

Working slowly through, checking three or four times my measurements then tack welding together I ended up with all the base rails in place.

My chassis kit I received seems to be missing the front frame tubes but as mentioned earlier I have my other front frame, ( note the different coloured metal and white marker writing on the f/frame)

At the end of play today I had all the base rails down, the front frame lined up and tacked and I'll start on the uprights tomorrow evening.

Last edited by CJ27 : 6th April 2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 6th April 2014, 09:24 PM

I'd be interested to know if others have fully welded there base rails before moving on to the uprights? The book says to tack it but I can't help think it would be better to fully weld, dress back and move onto the uprights?

All in all feeling fairly happy with myself today!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by CJ27 : 6th April 2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 6th April 2014, 10:00 PM

Looking good, it's been a really long time since I built mine but I'm sure I tacked then fully welded later on.
Old 6th April 2014, 10:05 PM

Welcome Chris, nice start
I tacked all my frame up first then started to full weld it to minimize any distortion. It was clamped/tacked to my bench then I started with all the down hand welds first so stopping any hope of the box section twisting.
Old 6th April 2014, 10:09 PM

Weld all the base tubes together across the tops with each tube clamped in place,then weld each vertical joint. Tack the front frame in place using some spare tube to hold it in place,then ignore the book tack SB1+SB2+D7+8 in place and do a diagonal measurement between the corner of SB2 and the front frame (get this between 2-3mm and you'll be doing well). Tack the uprights in place then TR1+2 3+4 and 8.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 6th April 2014, 10:12 PM

Welcome Chris good to see another mx5 build!! I tacked my chassis up first before I fully welded, weld opposite directions one weld at a time giving the frame to cool in between, more time you give the frame now less hassle you will have later on! I found this forum great help with plenty of free advice it's never a stupid question so just ask!

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 6th April 2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks guys!

It's funny you mention distortion as I noticed this, you'll see in my pictures that I improvised with a block of wood screwed down over the tube as I tacked them, it seemed to help a bit.

Phil thanks for the reply, I think I'll heed your advice and just weld the tops and some sides, then crack on as you've suggested. I've already got the front frame tacked in place.

I've checked all my measurements including the diagonals, they've all come back spot on so far, I know it's only the bottom rails but is good to know.

Last edited by CJ27 : 6th April 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 6th April 2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
Welcome Chris good to see another mx5 build!! I tacked my chassis up first before I fully welded, weld opposite directions one weld at a time giving the frame to cool in between, more time you give the frame now less hassle you will have later on! I found this forum great help with plenty of free advice it's never a stupid question so just ask!
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to weld the tops as said, moving around the frame to spread the heat and I'll give it plenty of time to cool in between.

They'll certainly be some stupid questions I'm sure it's all a learning curve at the end of the day!

Chris
Old 7th April 2014, 01:31 AM

welcome Chris....nice to see another build being born, if you get stuck you will always be able to find an answer within these "walls". I would advise getting a larger capacity gas bottle as you will find those you are using don't last 5 minutes ( that is almost literally ) try and get a pub bottle if you can.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:18 AM

Thanks, the gas bottle was an emergency spare as my usual supply ran out when I was finishing my mini project, I just haven't got a refill yet.