Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th March 2011, 09:51 PM

Default Following Haynes Electrical drawings..???

Evening...i have today been trying to follow the haynes electrical drawings for some of my donor parts...ie light switch /indicators/starting circuit...now i have been following instrumentation electrical control drawings for 20 years...but these haynes drawings are to put it bluntly.... shite....does anybody know how to cross refrence a cable to its continuation on another page ??? What the hell does a wee box with an arrow and a number inside mean ?? i understand the circuit ie C1042 is circuit number with a connector and S1042 is a soldered joint but then it dissapears off the page with that wee bloody stupid box which means nothing to me as it does not refer to anything....anybody who can shed some light on this PLEEASE !! i may hand my apprenticship papers back in !!!
Old 28th March 2011, 09:57 PM

Thats one of the reasons I bought a premier wiring loom....me no understand electrickery, never mind spaghetti drawings in a book

Hope you suss it out Andy, a few members on here are very knowledgeable with the black art of electrics ,

As for the Haynes wiring diagrams in the books, ....I thought my 3 yr old had got loose with a pen when I looked at them

cheers
andy
Old 28th March 2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

S1042 is a solder joint.

Sounds like you have a haynes that has the "lifted" versions of the ford diagrams unlike the haynes own ones.

A box with a number is a reference to another page where you find that circuit's other half. ( not sure if haynes did the cross referencing correctly)

You need to be sure you looking at the right diagram for the production year too. Or at least in the same ballpark of revisions. There's about 7 different Haynes sierra manuals.

Nothing beats fords own diagrams.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 28th March 2011, 10:09 PM

I think i am on the correct drawing...well the colour codes match with the tails on my switchgear...i chopped the tails a good 12" from the connection so i can solder and heat shrink tails to the corresponding relay or whatever...not going to buy a loom (yet) as when it come to electrics i should be able to bloody well do it !! is there any way to get a hold of proper Ford drawings ?
Old 28th March 2011, 10:09 PM

Even i struggle with haynes diagrams, for the engine management the autodata books are simple to follow and you only use a handfull of wires to get a EECIV system running. as for switches and stuff im going to cheat and buy a £130 complete loom with fusebox and relays from SVC and work out the column switches.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:13 PM

side light circuit switched live
Dipped and main swich earth (usually) to a dip relay (ign fed)
and main beam relay (live fed)
Old 28th March 2011, 10:27 PM

The haynes drawing has DIP beam relay and high beam relay which makes sense but also has two DIM DIP relays...any light on these ??
Old 28th March 2011, 10:43 PM

Yes they are a pain, my suggestion would be your better off without them they're not a legal requirement, there are 2 i think for left and right. i would take them out the fuse box and make a short bridge wire from the dip feed in to the dip feed out to the headlight, so your bypassing the dim dip resistor circuit. i would use quite thick cable 15amp minimum
Old 28th March 2011, 10:59 PM

Cheers Rich that makes perfect sense...will short it out that side ..seems a bit overkill to have that many relays for a lighting circuit !!