Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th February 2013, 04:30 PM

Won't work either Stot, as the compressor housing is only 12-15mm away from the engine block..... won't work up and down either as it will put exhaust pipe joint too low in the chassis......thanks for all the input guys.....I will get around this issue (I hope)
Old 7th February 2013, 06:28 PM

Get onto this crowd kev they have 1D rad bends, It will clear that lot by a long margin.http://www.goodfabs.com/

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 7th February 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 06:30 PM

Bit of a dillema Kev and now I see what you are at,I think I would be tempted to move U8 rearward to sort it if that is possible.

Just read post above,AAS in Lemington and tyrespot will bend stainless pipe.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.

Last edited by flyerncle : 7th February 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Get onto this crowd kev they have 1D rad bends, It will clear that lot by a long margin.http://www.goodfabs.com/
Those are very nice bends Bob but they will be F1 prices, and since I am getting no benefits from the government at all...diddly sqaut I am going to have to watch the pennies and flog some stuff....might make a few long range mx tanks to put on here.
really don't want to cut the chassis Paul.....I am going to tackle it tomorrow if I get my ss bend of ebay.
Started to figure out rad pipework and I am using some more stuff I have lying around in the guise of waste pipe for straight runs see pic ...I tried some in some boiling water and steam and it held up no bother .....will be experimental for the moment....also fitted radiator and protected it with some cardboard, now that I reduced the pipework to the minimum there is really only top hose and bottom hose to fab up
Old 10th February 2013, 11:08 PM

I have just cut my thermo housing for the RB engine and moved it so it points forward. Might be worth doing the same? I have a local tig welder and he did it for a fiver

Skyline Roadster
Old 10th February 2013, 11:13 PM

Oh and re the turbo it might be worth seeing if you can cut the flange of the engine side and twist it around so it misses D8 You can also be sneaky and rather than panel the front of the foot well panel the inside instead this will give you 25mm more space.

Skyline Roadster
Old 13th February 2013, 01:35 PM

Hi Alex .....had considered tigging the thermo housing but at the end of the day I had/have quite a bit of hosing, so I knew I could cover most routing anyway ....I think I will probably stick with altering the down pipe as it will make the routing of the side pipe exhaust easy, like one 90 degree bend and out the side panel.
Started attacking a problem that I knew would be coming, one of the downsides of getting that gearbox as far back as I did was the clutch slave cylinder of which I did not have was going to be very tight against the chassis....so I do what I usually do...hit ebay for a cheap alternative and got 2 new items for around a tenner, one is a master clutch cylinder from a land rover defender and the other is a Alfa 156 slave cylinder, I got this because it has a very low profile, incidently does any one know the thread of the flare nut on this, I know the land rover is 12 x 1 but I need to find out the slave so I can get Sylvain to make up a short line for me to match the rest.
So yet again ...thinking cap on as to how I am going to mount this in the same location as the original.....so raiding the scrap bin I find a piece of tubing that was once a coffee table leg and the flat bar was also, which I will be utilizing for my wing stays, they are both nice and thick.
So I cut a 2" section off and cut a slot length ways in it so as to provide a clamping action once a couple of mild steel tabs have been welded on, then welded another two tabs on, one to lock/locate and one to mount, as you vcan see from the photos there is no space left in that area so this method WILL work.
table leg as mentioned above with clutch slave cylinder

Old 13th February 2013, 01:40 PM

couple of shots of in situ looking as if you were lying on your back underneath the car, going to be taken off and painted today then straight back on.

Old 13th February 2013, 04:59 PM

Wow that is a bit tight! What tunnel did you go for? I decided on the MT75 and has give me loads of room. So much i can probably get away with the larger skyline gearbox if needed. I have to find myself a slave cylinder but that has given me a great idea mind if i copy it? as the ones for my box are around £90

Skyline Roadster
Old 13th February 2013, 09:12 PM

yeah go ahead Alex ...break a leg dude ....I always think, if it expensive is there a generic 3rd party item that will do the same job, and if that is too expensive then make it, if that does not work ........just sit down and cry
I chose the type 9 tunnel as the dimensions of the two boxes were similar but I placed a lot of emphasis on getting the hand to gearstick near perfect .....the cost was tight spaces in and around the gearbox area.....but hey it has not defeated me as of yet.

Last edited by K4KEV : 13th February 2013 at 09:16 PM.