Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th March 2010, 09:52 PM

Default motorbike clocks in dash?

running zx9r. just woundered what extras dials i would need on my dash, if i used the bike clocks. and can you use the bike clocks? and do you use all the the bike loom and exstend the wires to the indicators lights etc

Last edited by layotn20 : 8th March 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:56 PM

I'm waiting on some zx9r clocks I bought last week on ebay. I bought the zx9r 'E' clocks because they were more compact, I hope the wiring is compatible with the 'C' loom I have. I will still need to purchase a speedo healer to allow me to get the speed correct. I think most people strip the bike loom down to just the wiring required for the engine to run and then create a new loom for lights, signals e.t.c. I'm guessing all the original lighting wiring on the bike loom would need extending so probably worth creating it again. I'm not sure which indicator lights are missing from the original bike clocks, I think I still require a handbrake light. I've seen a few people cut the dash panel out so that just the rev counter, speedo and indicator lights of the standard clocjs show through, looks pretty neat, gives the impression of seperate dials. Have you also got the fuel pump? I ordered one the other day also, read the proper bike contain an interupter cutting the pump when the carbs are full meaning you don't reed a pressure regulator. Interesting info in here.
http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/resou....tech60697.pdf
hris
Old 8th March 2010, 11:59 PM

Up to you really,i just fitted a fuel gauge with zx9 clocks.
Use the zx9 loom and just extend as required.Use 10 core trailer wire to get to the rear end of the car and just splice into the loom under the scuttle.This will make life much easier to connect the speedo sensor etc up.U could also mount the zx9 switch gear on stalks behind the steering wheel.
Old 9th March 2010, 03:18 AM

zx9 clocks as fitted to my f27
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clox.jpg (85.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 9th March 2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseyj View Post
I'm waiting on some zx9r clocks I bought last week on ebay. I bought the zx9r 'E' clocks because they were more compact, I hope the wiring is compatible with the 'C' loom I have. I will still need to purchase a speedo healer to allow me to get the speed correct. I think most people strip the bike loom down to just the wiring required for the engine to run and then create a new loom for lights, signals e.t.c. I'm guessing all the original lighting wiring on the bike loom would need extending so probably worth creating it again. I'm not sure which indicator lights are missing from the original bike clocks, I think I still require a handbrake light. I've seen a few people cut the dash panel out so that just the rev counter, speedo and indicator lights of the standard clocjs show through, looks pretty neat, gives the impression of seperate dials. Have you also got the fuel pump? I ordered one the other day also, read the proper bike contain an interupter cutting the pump when the carbs are full meaning you don't reed a pressure regulator. Interesting info in here.
http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/resou....tech60697.pdf
hris
yeh iv got the fuel pump etc for the bike already
Old 9th March 2010, 09:14 AM

have you got to have, front and rear fog lights that only operate when side lights/head lights are on. hand brake light. hazards.

onbviously extra than the zx9 clocks

any help

Last edited by layotn20 : 9th March 2010 at 08:28 PM.