Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2010, 08:51 PM

Tilly,

Thanks for that, will prop go with the first half of your list, how much will i need to cover exterior body panels excluding the arches they are gel coated black,
half litre of etch, 1L high build and a couple of litres of colour be enough once thinned down do you reckon?
Will i have to use a light or white primer to make orange look nice and bright or will it take loads of coats to cover evenly?.

How is your build goin? nearly complete
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:27 PM

yeh your estimates are not far off i think i used about half a litre of 2k etch primer and about 1.5 litres of primer havnt shot top coat yet since its going to IVA in primer then if i have to drill holes i dont have to touch up after.

as for quantity a couple of litres should do it. a few coats 3 or 4 is ushaly good over a light colour primer should work a treat i like grey primer its good for prity much any top coat when it comes to top coat you are better to buy a little extra and have some left over then to not have enough simce evry can of paint is slightly diferant, kinda like getting replacement fibreglass parts evry batch off gelcoat is slightly diferant.

remember if you are using 2K (2Pack) that you might have for instance the etch primer i use is 50/50 + thinners so a litre of etch + a litre of hardner +10-15% thinners and you have nearly 2 and half litres the values i have given above are mixed values not how bigger tin you should buy

hope this helps

tilly

any problems give me a shout
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:07 PM

Dont forget the hardener is isocyanate in the two pack etch primer too.