Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th January 2010, 06:25 PM

You're making great progress there Enoch, good show. If I might just make one small safety related comment though, unwind all the cable from your extension lead before you do any serious welding, having it coiled on the drum and pulling serious amps through it can cause it to heat up quickly and catch fire. I have seen one go and the sparks are quite spectacular but the smoke that the insulation gives off is quite dangerous.

Keep up the good work.

D.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:49 PM

Hi Davey, you are spot on with the extension lead thing, when they are wound up you can get induction and heating up and all sorts of nasty things. When using it I always unwind it and leave it in loose coils under the bench where nobody can trip over it and its free to cool and not suffer from induction.
Good point well made old chap!
Old 20th January 2010, 09:08 PM

Cheers Enoch, didn't want to teach granny to suck eggs but there are many people who don't know about the risks of using wound up extension leads. The one I saw go up was supplying a food van and they had a 3KW chip fryer going along with two fluoro lights and a couple of fridges. I spotted the smoke coming from the extension lead and shouted just as it burst into flames, lots of spectacular sparks before the trip went off but the smoke was horrendous, thick black acrid choking smoke that was undoubtedly poisonous.

D.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:31 PM

As a qualified Electrician I have seen the same.
I am sure he just wound it up before taking the photos to make it look tidy.
But the trailing 2.5mm power cable acroos the window without clips makes me worry.
If you lived near to me I would pop round and place all the cables in 25mm plastic conduit to make it safe, cheap as chips from your local Wholesaler.
Old 21st January 2010, 09:07 AM

Nice car you have.

I have just today started with my number four car.
Old 21st January 2010, 09:07 AM

My god there are some sharp eyed people on this forum
You may notice that the window is new, the cable used to be clipped to the underside of the old window frame. I really should have finished that ( and 1000 other jobs) before I started work on the car. But I'm a bloke. I prefer to mess about with stuff I want to work on rather than stuff that "needs" doing. I have to keep explaining this to Mrs Enoch I will get round to it once some of the more essential jobs (drinking beer to clear space in the fridge etc.) have been done. Honest gov