Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th August 2009, 10:14 PM

Default Electrolysis

I see a couple of people have used electrolysis for cleaning parts up. Sounds quite interesting. I was wondering what sort of affect it has on the material. I'm thinking of things like brake calipers - if I was to strip the calipers could I safely clean them up with electrolysis and not damage the bores? Similalry with the the uprights, could the same be done but obviously remove the bearings apart from the outer races, again would the electrolysis damage them?

Cheers

Dave
Old 9th August 2009, 10:29 PM

there is someone on here that posted pics before it does work very well
you do have to be carefull about hydrogen production
and apparently using stainless as an anode is a big no no some very toxic fumes
also ive read about hydrogen causing the component to become brittle
im not a metalurgist but i dont see this as a big issue as im sure someone on lcb would have put big warnings about it
there is a long term sticky on lcb if you care to go have a look you definately dont have to pay to see it but might have to become a member
Ray
Old 9th August 2009, 11:32 PM

I did this on one of the front hubs( i took the disc and caliper off and electrolysed it with the hub. ) It seemd to work very well, howver the pics i have dont show it well. Also now the hub i electrolysed seems to spin mor freely) It doesnt become shiney or clean, but it removes any rust and leaves a surface thats relatively easy to clean(i pressure washed it). I would do it for the rest of my parts, but it just takes too long tbh and i cant be bothered as its just mor work.

the one on the left still looks very rusted but it is nothing compared to the one on the right
Old 9th August 2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post
... you definately dont have to pay to see it but might have to become a member
Ray
Sorry for going off the topic a wee bit, but registration to that site DOES cost, not much but one does need to make a non free phone call to activate the account.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:00 AM

Dave

It doesn't have any visible effect on unrusted metal so you should be OK with the bores and bearings. For the hydrogen embrittlement I've looked a lot on the net and the only place where people have concerns is when de-rusting springs. If you are worried then there are suggestions the baking in an oven for some time (can't remember how long) reverses the effect. I can't see how a day long treatment on a large lump of cast iron like a caliper is going to make any difference at all.

My personal opinion is it's the nearest thing to magic I've seen in a long time. You can see from the attached pictures the change to heavily rusted metal

One thing you do have to watch out for is that anything you treat then starts rusting again at an amazing rate - there's a fine coat of rust within days so it is best to give parts a quick coat of paint straight away.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5101534-small.JPG (27.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P5101535-small.JPG (27.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 10th August 2009, 12:15 AM

yep id have to agree with you matt as my hub has rusted amazikngly fast since i electrolysed it a few days. next time ill paint ti as soon as the electrolosis finishes
Old 10th August 2009, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

i used electrolysis to get the worst off then went at it with the angry grinder with twisted wire brush