Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2012, 08:39 PM

Default Floor on at last!

Fully welded the steel sheet on the bottom. The top side will be stitch welded around all internal edges then painted and then caulked to seal.

Super happy as i feel like this is a huge mile stone. Next i need to weld in a few more panels for the firewall and also two on each side of the gearbox and shes ready for paint!

Skyline Roadster
Old 10th September 2012, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up

Nice work, I was wondering where you had gone !

That car is going to be mad, mines quite a hand full with 140 bhp
Old 10th September 2012, 10:20 PM

Fully welded..?? Do you know if there is any distortion, if so how much.?
Or did the roll cage keep it straight.?

Loving the build log and I'm gonna copy your extra strengthening bars you have in the side too
Old 10th September 2012, 10:53 PM

No chassis distortion at all from the fully welded floor. I have to admit i did use quite thick sheet 2mm! so 12 gauge lol.

You can see a slight bit of flex on the center of each section but that's because i put a big weight in the center when i welded the cross bars as wanted to make sure the sheet was flush. I know a couple of the cross bars for the seats are not quite level with the chassis.

I started on the big end and did 1 inch weld then 2 inch gap from the center of the back then alternated sides each weld working towards the front. Making sure the temp was even and did not stop until the end. Waited for it to cool then welded the cross bars with 3 welds on each side. Waited for it to cool again then filled all the gaps with the same method. Tomorrow i will do the same with the inside but will not infill.

As you can see from these pics there is no warping from the first welds. Some people say that 2mm is uber thick but to be honest i wanted the floor to be the same as the box section wall. It also allows you to put a lot more heat into it. It does add quite a lot of weight but then again i have the engine to move it and lets face it the cage and chassis stretch all ready added a bit!

As you can see the cross bars caused some warping but that's because i put two large packs of tiles in the center of each section to make sure the sheet was flush with the rails. But to be honest its not like it really matters as you cant tell from the inside and not many people see the underside unless they are very very unlucky!

Skyline Roadster
Old 26th September 2012, 09:43 PM

Just admiring the floor in you car and noticed the roll bar where did you source it from if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
DaveyB