Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th March 2010, 08:58 PM

Thats shocking

I must admit i liked the idea when i first saw them but not the design (didnt look man enough) so havnt bothered with them personally

As already mentioned rally design need to know about this before somebody gets killed. They are a large well known company so there must be hundreds of cars out there with the same adjusters on.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

the sleeve it went into was bored out on the lathe then finished to size with a proper finishing reamer so they were as perfect as perfect could be
Old 17th March 2010, 09:15 PM
fabbyglass

I would say it's the wrong grade of ali used there rather than them being too flimsy. You should see the adjusters used on Van Diemen's now they are thin but the key is in the grade of ali used.

Has anyone bothered to crack open a ball joint?...Now that's scary as bugger all holding them together really yet these type of cars rely on them to hold hubs/brakes/wheels on.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:17 PM
fabbyglass

The biggest joke on kit cars is using Sierra uprights with a mushroom thing stuffed in the top with only a pinch bolt to hold it in...even the Sierra had additional means to keep the strut in place.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:29 PM

Maybe we should design a new fabricated front upright? I think I saw a thread with some designs for this a few weeks ago. Maybe I could use this is my CAD project at school.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:45 PM

Food for thought gents,I have them both ends. Bu88er. !

Rally Design need to know and what are their thoughts,fit for the purpose and liability and all that before someone is hurt.

Last edited by flyerncle : 17th March 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 18th March 2010, 07:37 AM

I think it could be solved easily and the cause is pobably our own fault,if the adjuster is in tension due to the tube being too long when tightened it will fail due to the weakest point being the nut end.

Solution.(possibly) the tube should be the exact length to hold the adjuster in compression, or weld a suitable washer at the outside end to prevent it detaching from the arm.
Another alternative is to remake the tube with an internal step at wheel end to stop it pulling through.

It made sense to me at silly o'clock this morning and I hope it does to others.

Cheers All

Last edited by flyerncle : 18th March 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 18th March 2010, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

the tube was the exact length so that wont cure the problem and looking at the force to make that bit of ali break a washer wouldn't stand a chance. simple fact is that they are made out of the wrong material and should be abandoned.

its not worth killing yourself to save a couple of grams
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:22 PM

Having just got back from holiday this morning I was quite alarmed to read about this failure. I've got a set of these adjusters I am planning to use when I make my own wishbones in the next couple of weeks. Interestingly there has been some discussion on this on the 'other forum' including a good suggestion by Ash for an alternative design (which I plan to use) to provide a safeguard in the event of failure - for more info see -
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...=132143&page=4
Old 24th March 2010, 02:07 PM

Thumbs down Ash's thread deleted from LCB !!??

I was just going to have a re-read of the thread that Ash posted on LCB & now it has gone

Reading it this morning !!??

I must say .... Was absolutely GOBSMACKED to note that one particular post lashed out at Ash & accused him of scare-mongering

Certainly made me think twice about using the quick adjusters without making provision for some kind of failsafe device

www.roadster-builders.co.uk