Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2014, 07:49 PM

Default Few IVA Questions

Few IVA questions.

1. Do I need the Headlight aim bang on for the test or will they let me adjust for the lightbox machine they use?

2. I have a extra fuse in my loom but it's not in the fuse box but tape/zipped to the side of the loom. It's not exposed but is visible. Will they pull me on this?

3. I have reused some of the mazda tank breather hoses. They are old but are not damaged or cracked. Will they get me on the age of the hoses? (I reused as they are shaped correctly for the route I ended up using for the tank drain.)

4. Unlike most, I have used OEM rubber hoses that are marked "/ DOT CEF 1/8 HL SAE J 1401 038 -- 43 11 10 / ". I assume this is enough for the IVA. Am I wrong?
Old 26th November 2014, 08:33 PM

1. My tester allowed me to adjust the headlight aim on the day. I had rotated my dominator headlights by 10 as advised on the lb site but he wanted a flat pattern so let me take them apart and move it back horizontal.
2. As long as it's secure I can't see it being a problem but it's all down to interpretation.

3 and 4 I'm not too sure on.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
1. My tester allowed me to adjust the headlight aim on the day. I had rotated my dominator headlights by 10 as advised on the lb site but he wanted a flat pattern so let me take them apart and move it back horizontal.
2. As long as it's secure I can't see it being a problem but it's all down to interpretation.

3 and 4 I'm not too sure on.
Thanks Steve.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Few IVA questions.

1. Do I need the Headlight aim bang on for the test or will they let me adjust for the lightbox machine they use?

2. I have a extra fuse in my loom but it's not in the fuse box but tape/zipped to the side of the loom. It's not exposed but is visible. Will they pull me on this?

3. I have reused some of the mazda tank breather hoses. They are old but are not damaged or cracked. Will they get me on the age of the hoses? (I reused as they are shaped correctly for the route I ended up using for the tank drain.)

4. Unlike most, I have used OEM rubber hoses that are marked "/ DOT CEF 1/8 HL SAE J 1401 038 -- 43 11 10 / ". I assume this is enough for the IVA. Am I wrong?
My tester helped adjust the lights during the test

I don't think the tester looked at any dates or markings on pipes or hoses

Make sure that you make a file that has lots of photos of things like the earth bond for the tank etc

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post

What are you using theses hoses for? SAE J 1401 is the standard for brake hoses, transporting non-petroleum based fluids.
http://standards.sae.org/j1401_201302/

So I don't think they are suitable for fuel. But I'm not sure, it needs to be checked further.
Old 27th November 2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
What are you using theses hoses for? SAE J 1401 is the standard for brake hoses, transporting non-petroleum based fluids.
http://standards.sae.org/j1401_201302/

So I don't think they are suitable for fuel. But I'm not sure, it needs to be checked further.
Sorry I neglected to say these are my brake hoses not fuel hoses.

Any one wired locked the caliper bolts?? Apparently some people have failed on this as I have read on locust forum??:roll eyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

this insistence on flipping lockwire on caliper bolts drives me MAD!!

I was all ready to argue at my SVA, but the tester never questioned that I had no lockwire on them! A LOT of production cars use loctite (all vauxhalls for example! ) and I certainly know of no modern cars that use lockwire these days, all use loctite to my knowledge. Hasten to add mine were indeed loctited
Old 27th November 2014, 01:46 AM

Decided to take these images with me that show the hoses I've used in-situ on a mazda mx5 fuel tank.

Proof enough of the hoses purposes? They are marked but it will be difficult to read I suppose.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:13 AM

I didn't wire the caliper bolts and my guy didn't look at a single picture. I had taken my iPad just in case.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:12 AM

So just got through to Chadderton but no one available to answer questions. I'll wait till the middle of next week and call again. I asked whether they would contact me to book the appointment but she said I would have to keep calling to get my appointment booked.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:31 PM

I had trouble getting any advice from Chadderton.
However at test they were very helpful and reasonable.
Asked if I had locked threads on calipers and seat belt bolts . I also made sure the blue stuff was visible on end of thread