Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2008, 11:54 PM

Question Confused!! What engine

Im new to this and im looking for information before i go off and build my first car. With the roadster what specifications does the engine have to be to fit the haynes design???(does it have to be RWD etc)

I was thinking about a honda vtec engine but looking through the forum they dont work with this design.

Im looking for something with fast acceleration so any suggestions??
Old 12th June 2008, 12:41 AM

Audi 5v turbo?

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...highlight=audi

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 12th June 2008, 08:32 AM

The Vtecs are expensive engines to find, really expensive to repair, expensive to tune and the gearbox is noisy. But it does give you good power and high rpm.

Audi turbo is a very suitable alternative.

Frans

Alphax Kitcars: mainlands official Roadster dealer.

see www.alphax-kitcars.com
Old 13th June 2008, 01:54 PM

You guys are so predictable.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:22 PM

hayabusa engine expensive but bike enige all the way
Old 18th June 2008, 06:01 PM

Default engine choices

Neil,

Had a look at your flickr site - your build looks really interesting. I notice that you have made an adaptor plate 4AGE - MT75 gearbox. Was this straightforward, I am thinking of doing the same. Here's one for the Toyota engines!

Spalders
Old 18th June 2008, 09:34 PM

Spalders,

not exactly straightforward and at the moment untested. Someone told me it was too difficult to do, so I had to!

I measured the engine to establish centres etc and drew up a template incorporating the gearbox measurements from the MT75 plans on this site. I had it laser cut locally from 6mm steel.

The starter needs locating to the other side, one of the difficulties being that it is fixed with bolts from the rear rather than locating onto studs with nuts etc. The bellhousing is relieved in various places to allow for bolt heads and the starter.

The clutch fork pivot needs lengthening to bring it closer to the clutch assembly, it needs a spigot bearing fitting and the sierra clutch plate is a snug fit in the pressure plate side. I had to file off the small lugs (about 2mm) from the outer edge to give clearance.

The clutch engages and disengages but as the engine is not yet running it is still a bit of an unknown quantity. It would probably have been far easier to buy a type 9 conversion or fit a ford motor but I had the MT75 and quite like a bit of a challenge. I also like the Toyota motor because I can fit it using all the original ignition and fuelling kit, it makes reasonable power and revs well.

The engineering is more function over form. Straightforward - not really, but quite satisfying when it comes together.

I have some more photo's of the plate etc, I'll put them on over the next few days if you want to have a look.

Oh, eirekev, my understanding is that due to the weight (or lack of it) they go pretty well whatever you put in them. I'm going for lighter weight rather than huge power.

Neil